Feeling sad being betrayed? Looking for some deep quotes on betrayal? We’ve rounded some of the best betrayal quotes, sayings, proverbs, status messages, and captions you might relate to if you have been cheated on.✍️ November 4, 2022
Betrayal means “an act of deliberate disloyalty,”. This breach of faith can be done to a country, to a relationship (love, friendship) or a group of persons (family).
Nothing can be worse than discovering that the person you had loved and trusted and offered all your loyalty to has backstabbed you.
Being betrayed by your close ones or loved ones can be very heartbreaking. Betrayal comes in the disguise of cheating, disloyalty, lies, and being hurt by someone who never expected it from. When your trust is broken, the loss is a harrowing experience.
It hurts when you find family or friends manipulating you and trying to take advantage of you. But betrayal in love or a relationship should never stop you from moving forward in life. Learn the lesson from your mistake, be careful before trusting people, and move on in life.
In this post we have covered various sad quotes on betrayal like:
- Famous Betrayal Quotes
- Friends Betrayal Quotes
- Love Betrayal Quotes
- Betrayal Quotes about Family
- Short Status Messages about Betrayal
- Biblical Sayings about Betrayal
Famous Betrayal Quotes and Sayings
- “Each betrayal begins with trust.” — Martin Luther
- All trust involves vulnerability and risk, and nothing would count as trust if there were no possibility of betrayal. – Robert C. Solomon
- “Sometimes you don’t need to hear their excuses or what they have to say for themselves because their actions already spoke the truth.”
- “Is it possible to succeed without any act of betrayal?” – Jean Renoir
- “The knives of betrayal and drama cut deep and hurt… but they also trim away the nonsense and reveal your true friends.” – Steve Maraboli
- Trust can be lost within seconds, takes a lifetime to regain, and is never as strong again afterward.
- Trust is not established in the absence of betrayal, but in those whose betrayal is least. – Wes Fessler
- Muhammad is more human, more self-doubting, even self-tortured at times. His story is full of adventure, intrigue, betrayal. – Deepak Chopra
- “Betrayal is never easy to handle and there is no right way to accept it.” – Christine Feehan
- Cheating is directly linked to lack of intelligence, insecurity, low self-esteem, and an overall sense of unhappiness with one’s own life.
- Every betrayal contains a perfect moment, a coin stamped heads or tails with salvation on the other side. – Barbara Kingsolver
- “Betrayal is about learning not to idealize external sources.” – Linda Talley
- “Betrayal is the only truth that sticks.” – Arthur Miller
- “They can betray me, but I choose not be betray my peace of mind.” – Dodinsky
- “Some people are willing to betray years of friendship just to get a little bit of the spotlight.” — Lauren Conrad
- “Betrayal doesn’t only break your heart, but also darkens your soul.” – Unknown
- When you betray somebody else, you also betray yourself. – Isaac Bashevis Singer
- “Confession is not betrayal. What you say or do doesn’t matter; only feelings matter. If they could make me stop loving you-that would be the real betrayal.” — George Orwell
- “Even loss and betrayal can bring us awakening.” — Buddha
- “It hurts. Because it mattered.” — John Green
- “There is something wrong with your character if opportunity controls your loyalty.”
- “I trusted you and you betrayed me.” — Unknown
- “Beware the person who stabs you and tells the world they’re the one who’s bleeding.” – Jill Blakeway
- “Sometimes the person you’d take a bullet for is standing behind the trigger.” – Taylor Swift
- “That was how dishonesty and betrayal started, not in big lies but in small secrets.” — Amy Tan
- “The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from your enemies.” – Anonymous
- “It is better to have an enemy who honestly says they hate you.”
- “Trust is earned, respect is given, and loyalty is demonstrated. Betrayal of any one of those is to lose all three.” — Ziad K. Abdelnour
- Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you. – Sherrilyn Kenyon
Best Friendship Betrayal Quotes
Sometimes, even the best of friendships can fall apart due to many reasons. You and your best friend may end up in a nasty fight due to lies, cheating, or betrayal.
- “Don’t be sorry. I trusted you. My mistake, not yours.”
- “Friends are supposed to be there for you when you cry, not the reason you cry.”
- “Be careful who you tell your feelings to because some people are waiting for the opportunity to use them against you.”
- “Breaking someone’s trust is like crumpling up a perfect piece of paper. You can smooth it over but it’s never going to be the same again.”
- “Better to have an enemy who slaps you in the face than a friend who stabs you in the back.” – Unknown
- “An honest enemy is better than a false friend. When in doubt, pay more attention to what people do and less to what they say. Actions not only speak louder than words, they are more difficult to fake.” – Zero Dean
- “The lesser the friends, the lesser the chances of betrayal.” — Tupac Shakur
- Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie. – Terry Goodkind
- “The worst pain in the world goes beyond the physical. Even further beyond any other emotional pain one can feel. It is the betrayal of a friend.” – Heather Brewer
- “I used to advertise my loyalty and I don’t believe there is a single person I loved that I didn’t eventually betray.” — Albert Camus
- “Betray a friend and you’ll often find you have ruined yourself.” — Aesop
- “It’s hard to tell who has your back from who has it long enough just to stab you in it.” — Nicole Richie
- “Betrayal doesn’t only break your heart but also darkens your soul. You’ll never forget the pain like a fog that forever lingers in the depths of your mind.”
- Life has taught me that you can’t control someone’s loyalty. No matter how good you are to them, doesn’t mean that they will treat you the same. No matter how much they mean to you, doesn’t mean that they’ll value you the same. Sometimes the people you love the most, turn out to be the people you can trust the least.
- “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.”
- “There is a big difference between being betrayed by an enemy and being betrayed by a friend. The latter hurts more.”
- “Don’t waste words on people who deserve your silence. Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all.”
- “The worst feeling in the world is knowing you’ve been used and lied to by someone you trusted.” – Unknown
- “Some of the most poisonous people come disguised as friends.”
- “Don’t fear the enemy that attacks you, but the fake friend that hugs you.” — Obameso Sunkanm
- “You know that you have been stabbed when you feel the deep pain of betrayal.” – Les Parrott
- “I will take his secret to the grave, telling people along the way. Betrayal is no sin if it is whimsical.” – Tom Stoppard
- “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” — William Shakespeare
- ‘It was a mistake,’ you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you. – David Levithan
- “The knives of betrayal and drama cut deep and hurt… but they also trim away the nonsense and reveal your true friends.” – Steve Maraboli
- “We’re not friends, we’re not enemies, we’re just strangers with some memories.” – Frank Ocean
- “Two people who were once very close can without blame or grand betrayal become strangers. Perhaps this is the saddest thing in the world.” — Warsan Shire
- I’m not crying because of you; you’re not worth it. I’m crying because my delusion of who you were was shattered by the truth of who you are. – Steve Maraboli
- “We have to distrust each other. It is our only defense against betrayal.” – Tennessee Williams
- “Beware the person who stabs you and then tells the world they’re the world they’re the one who’s bleeding.” – Jill Blakeway
- “The worst kind of hurt is betrayal, because it means that someone will willing to hurt you just to make themselves feel better.” – Unknown
- “It’s hard to trust somebody when the one person who you completely opened up to is the person who later completely betrayed you.”
Deep Love Betrayal Quotes and Sayings
Being cheated, you feel betrayed and start having trust issues in a relationship. The hard truth seems unbelievable when someone you love cheats on you.
📖 Suggested read: 54 Relationship Understanding Quotes To Strengthen Your bond
There can be nothing terrible if you are heartbroken by someone who has been unfaithful in your relationship.
- “What had seemed like love was betrayal.” ― Claudia Gray
- “Betrayal can only happen if you love.” – John le Carre
- “Love and marriage are wonderful arenas in which to place a character. We are most likely to risk our morals and beliefs while in love. Betrayal gives tremendous insights into a character as well.” – Anita Shreve
- “I trusted you, but now your words mean nothing because your actions spoke the truth.” – Unknown
- Naturally, when one makes progressive steps, there may be some who see it as a betrayal of their goals and interests. – Louis Farrakhan
- “Betrayal answers betrayal, the mask of love is answered by the disappearance of love.” — Albert Camus
- To me, the thing that is worse than death is betrayal. You see, I could conceive death, but I could not conceive betrayal. – Malcolm X
- “Shame, blame, disrespect, betrayal, and the withholding of affection damage the roots from which love grows. Love can only survive these injuries if they are acknowledged, healed, and rare.” – Brene Brow
- “Love comes to those who still hope after disappointment, who still believes after betrayal, and who still love after they’ve been hurt.”
- “Love is whatever you can still betray. Betrayal can only happen if you love.” – John le Carre
- “When someone betrays you, it is a reflection of their character, not yours.”
- “I didn’t fall in love with you, I fell in love with the person you pretended to be.” – Unknown
- Betrayal is one of my biggest fears. Betrayal happens on many different levels all the time, and there is no worse feeling than realizing someone you thought you could trust has gone against you. – Katie Lee
- “Forgive yourself for the blindness that let others betray you. Sometimes a good heart doesn’t see the bad.”
- “For me, I always wonder what’s worse: an emotional betrayal or a physical betrayal? That’s a really tough call.” – Hilarie Burton
Sad Quotes on Betrayal from Family
In this fast-moving world, it’s difficult to come across true and honest people. It is challenging to deal with betrayals when it comes from your family members. You feel shattered and hurt to be cheated by your most trusted people.
📖 Suggested read: 300+ Inspirational Self-Care Quotes to Brighten Your Day
Lying, cheating, and disloyalty are all attributes of a fake person or a friend. Being lied to is something no one likes, and it is really hard to trust your partner or friend who lies to you.
- “Life is not about who’s real to your face, it’s about who’s real behind your back.”
- “Let’s call cheating what it is: a complete betrayal of trust.” — Greg Behrendt
- “Betrayal is so emotionally charged because the act of betrayal violates a couple’s core agreement- the promise to care for each other and keep each other safe.”
- “Tragedy in life normally comes with betrayal and compromise, and trading on your integrity and not having dignity in life. That’s really where failure comes.” – Tom Cochrane
- “Blame and betrayal are the emotional enemies of improvement.”
- “Familial betrayal is, to me, the most heartbreaking kind – because if you can’t trust your family to love you and protect you, who can you really trust?” – Alexandra Bracken
- “Those who don’t know the value of loyalty can never appreciate the cost of betrayal.”
- “Sometimes the people closest to you betray you, and your home isn’t a place you can be happy anymore.” – Kristin Cast
- Familial betrayal is, to me, the most heartbreaking kind – because if you can’t trust your family to love you and protect you, who can you really trust? – Alexandra Bracken
- “Betrayal leaves us at a fork in the road. We can become stuck in a bad moment forever or we can put it behind us for good. We decide our path.” – Carmen Harra
- “Betrayal can be extremely painful, but it’s up to you how much that pain damages you permanently.” – Emily V. Gordon
- “Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family.” – Chris Diaz
- “Nothing hurts more than being disappointed by the single person you thought would never hurt you.”
Short Betrayal Status Messages (Funny)
- “Loyalty is from above, betrayal is from below.” – Bob Sorge
- “Zero tolerance for betrayal.”
- “Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie.”
- “I hope karma slaps in your face before I do.”
- “You’re fluent in lies, excuses and bullshit.”
- “Betrayal betrays the betrayer.”
- “Every Betrayal begins with Trust.”
- “I’ve suffered betrayal with all five senses. For over a year.”
- “Silence is a true friend who never betrays.”
- “All a man can betray is his conscience.” – Joseph Conrad
- “Surrounded by snakes and fakes.”
- “The real betrayal is forgetting yourself.”
- “Betrayal is hard especially if you really trust him/her.”
Bible Verses about Betrayal
- Job 19:19 – My close friends detest me. Those I loved have turned against me.
- Proverbs 25:9-10 – Instead, take up the matter with your neighbor, and don’t betray another person’s confidence. Otherwise, anyone who hears will make you ashamed, and your bad reputation will never leave you.
- Job 19:13-14 – My relatives stay far away, and my friends have turned against me. My family is gone, and my close friends have forgotten me.
- Matthew 26:48-50 – The traitor, Judas, had given them a prearranged signal: “You will know which one to arrest when I greet him with a kiss.” So Judas came straight to Jesus. “Greetings, Rabbi!” he exclaimed and gave him the kiss. Jesus said, “My friend, go ahead and do what you have come for.” Then the others grabbed Jesus and arrested him.
- Psalm 41:9 – Even my closest friend whom I trusted, the one who ate my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
What is betrayal?
The word “betrayal” invariably brings on to the mind the suspicions of an illicit affair; but betrayal can literally come in many forms, and no matter how big or small, it can reap us apart.
Spreading fake rumors, cheating, abandoning, deception, treachery, lying, or someone who hurts you by putting their own self-interest first, are all forms of betraying.
What’s worse, we often seek emotional refuge in someone who has also been an accomplice in playing with our trusts. Those devastating moments can only be empathized by an individual who has undergone similar experiences. However, you are always there to help yourself when you are being betrayed, and these tips can help you overcome a bitter experience of being backstabbed.
Forgiveness is the Key
It’s hard to accept but trust and betrayal are inevitable parts of our lives. If you are being trapped in an excruciatingly painful situation, try to free yourself from the confines of anger and frustration. And this can’t be achieved until you learn to forgive.
Give up on the Negativity
If you have recently faced friendship betrayal, you must refrain from thoughts of self-loathing and retribution.
Most people are led into believing that they have to undergo betrayal in love owing to their misdeeds but this is not true. Do not hold on to anything that can offer you nothing more than pain and perplexity.
Confide in someone from your family. Remind yourself one of the most famous betrayal quotes from “The Bishop’s Candlesticks” where the Bishop says “If people lie to me they are poorer, not I”.
📖 Suggested read: 80 “Baby I Miss You” Quotes To Express Your Love
So you are not wretched, unworthy or despicable by any means so set yourself free from such deceptive relationships that make you suffer from lack of self-esteem.