What is a Platonic Relationship?
Every love is different, every relationship is different. Read this article and find out what defines a platonic relationship!Conversation Starters 👇
We're hiring and looking for a fully remote UI/UX designer. Apply now!
- 🤩 What is a Platonic Relationship?
- 💛 Platonic Relationship Rules
- 😎 Additional Rules for a Platonic Relationship
- 💕 Questions to ask before taking things further in a platonic relationship
There are a lot of different types of platonic relationships, but they all have one thing in common: you don’t want to date the person.
This article will go over some rules for both parties when it comes to being friends with someone who doesn’t want to date them. From what not to do while hanging out together, how to have fun during your time together, questions you should ask before taking things further, and mistakes that can ruin a platonic friendship if made - this article has everything you need!
What is a Platonic Relationship?
A platonic relationship is dating or a friendship that is not romantic and does not involve sexual contact of any kind. A dating relationship can become platonic, but it is also common that two friends enter into a dating relationship with each other.
Many people enjoy having dating relationships that are not sexual, especially if they have gotten out of a dating relationship where one person was obsessed with sex and the other person was uninterested in sex. The good news is that dating outside of your comfort zone does not have to involve awkwardness or loss of friendship. If you establish boundaries early on, dating someone who is interested in courting you will be an enjoyable experience instead of just another mistake.
👉 Do you want to know more about different types of relationships? Read this to become familiar with 7 Different Types of Romantic Relationships!
Platonic Relationship Rules
1. Be honest with your feelings! If you want to kiss someone, you should probably tell them that. If you like dating or dating this person in particular, let them know! Honesty is the best policy when it comes to dating and romance, so don’t hold anything back.
2. Don’t pressure the other person into dating just because they’re your friend. There’s nothing wrong with asking out a friend if you feel something more than friendship for them, but there’s also nothing wrong with waiting until you feel sure enough of yourself or at least pretty confident about their feelings towards dating before choosing to do so. Make sure it’s what they want too!
3. Don’t make big assumptions or dating-related decisions for the other person! They may not feel the same way you do about them.
4. It’s okay to explore dating in a platonic relationship, but it doesn’t follow that dating someone in a platonic relationship is a bad idea. Don’t expect them to stop dating anyone if you are dating someone else.
Additional Rules for a Platonic Relationship
It’s crucial to avoid projecting your feelings on a platonic friend. It’s also critical to be truthful with your feelings for the individual, but you should never go over their limits. Keep in mind that it’s always acceptable to let them know if you want more from them than a friendship. You should also avoid dating their friends and relatives!
Don’ts for a Platonic Relationship
1. Consent is always important! Don’t take pictures of the other person without their permission.
2. No flirt! Don’t act flirty or touchy around them.
3. Pay respect! Don’t be disrespectful by making jokes at their expense.
4. Act polite! Don’t start dating their friends and relatives.
5. No pressure! Don’t pressure them to put in a dating context what is currently a friendship.
Do’s for a Platonic Relationship
1. Everyone has boundaries! Respect the boundaries they’ve set for you.
2. Patience is key! Be patient, don’t push when they’re not ready for more than friendship with you.
3. Be there! Offer support and comfort when they need it.
4. Honesty is important! Be honest with your feelings, but never push them onto the other person.
Questions to ask before taking things further in a platonic relationship
Both people in a platonic relationship need to maintain a healthy distance from each other when they aren’t intimate. If the physical boundaries become too short, it can be uncomfortable and difficult to keep things from going sideways.
Here are some questions to ask before taking things further in a platonic relationship:
- Do you want this to be a dating scenario?
- Why are we in a platonic relationship right now?
- What does the term “friends with benefits” mean to you?
- How do I know when dating someone is going too far in a platonic relationship?
- What will happen if one of us starts dating another person while still in a platonic relationship with each other?
- Would dating each other be a good idea?
- What will happen to our friendship after dating?
👉 If you’re looking for more questions to ask your (potential) partner, feel free to check out our 70 Great Relationship Questions!
Mistakes that can ruin a platonic friendship if made
There are many ways you can ruin a platonic relationship. Be open about your feelings, but not too open. Don’t forget to establish what the boundaries are early on in the relationship.
Try dating other people while maintaining your platonic relationship with them, or see if they want to date other people while dating you. Act like “friends” for a few years after dating someone and then decide to try dating them again? Keep in mind that some people don’t want to be friends with their exes at all, so you might end up ruining the dating thing too.
These two things will ruin your platonic relationship - Going on dates right away - Deciding not to treat them as friends anymore after dating them once before
If your relationship with someone is strictly platonic, dating them will not make it better.
👉 Do you want to improve your relationship? Check out our article about How to Have a Healthy Relationship!
As always, honesty is the best policy - platonic relationship, dating or not dating. Don’t cross any lines (physical or mental) and don’t give them any reason to suspect you’d do so. Be sure that you understand the boundaries and know where they end and where yours begin! This especially applies when dating or hanging out with others while you’re still friends, don’t pursue them romantically, either overtly or covertly, don’t sabotage their dating life, do treat it with respect.
✍️ September 14, 2021