How To Compliment A Girl
Complimenting a girl seems like an easy thing to do. But there's a BIG difference in giving an unintentionally-bad compliment with a thoughtfully-delivered compliment. The route you take can make or break a girl's day.Conversation Starters
So how do you compliment a girl properly? Here are two important things to consider:
What sort of relationship do you have with this girl?
Is she a friend? A potential love interest? Your significant other? A colleague? The answer will determine the type of compliment most appropriate to give.
For example, if you know someone on a professional level only, then it is best not to get too loose with your compliments. You risk making your colleague uncomfortable.
But if the girl is someone you consider a friend, then it’s perfectly okay to be a bit forward, naughty, or funny.
What should you focus on?
The focus of your compliment is the key to how well this will be received. Are you planning to praise her physical features, personality, special talent, accomplishments, or social skills?
Complimenting a girl’s accomplishments or personality is generally received better than any flattering remarks about her looks. It has more depth and sincerity.
Complimenting a Girl’s Personality
The point of complimenting is to make other people feel good about themselves by acknowledging their truths. You don’t have to lie and make up honeyed words just to get a girl’s attention. If what you say is true, your compliment is bound to make a girl smile.
Take a look at these personality-focused compliments to get a better understanding on how you can customize them for your friend, significant other, or any other girl.
- You have such a positive charisma and outlook in life. This lets her know that you see her personality and not just her looks.
- You’re so good at what you do, it is awe inspiring. Make her feel that you are proud of her accomplishments and that you support all her endeavors.
- You’re not like anyone I have met before. Make her feel unique and special, if not for your eyes only.
- You have the craziest sense of humor. This shows how much you enjoy her company and conversations.
- I like how you carry yourself and your style. It shows that you’re paying closer attention to every detail of her personality and demeanor.
- You bring a high level of energy to any activity. Here, you’re complimenting her attitude towards her work or passions.
Compliments as a Conversation Starter
Giving compliments are tried-and-tested conversation starters.
Complimenting girls on their looks work best on those you already know. Telling them they have nice hair, cool new makeup look, sexy dress, or an impressive weight loss can sound genuine because you already know each other. You know for a fact that she has maintained her straight long hair for several years and made a dramatic change with a pixie cut. Or a friend who has been battling diabetes, got into a healthier diet, and lost a ton of weight.
On the other hand, there’s a good chance complimenting a stranger or girl you just met over her looks would backfire. You might sound like you’re trying too hard, or your compliments are too cheesy or insincere.
If you are trying to get to know someone new, stick with compliments that focus on her values, personality, or accomplishments.
Examples of Icebreaker Compliments
- You exude confidence that’s out of this world. What’s your secret?
- It’s inspiring how you help everyone around you. Has anyone disappointed you before?
- I admire how you view the world and try to make a difference. Have you always been this way?
- Your courage gives strength to a lot of people. Are you aware of this?
- Your discipline and punctuality is something we should all copy. When did you become an early bird?
As you can see from the examples above, when you add a question to your compliments, it’s an effective way of extending the conversation. It’s a pretty cool way to learn more about the girl you like, don’t you think?
How to Construct Your Compliments
Icebreakers are often made up of fun, silly, and simple statements to “break the ice.”
Icebreaker games can help you tailor the type of compliments that are appropriate for the girl’s sensibilities.
When you ask a girl simple questions like Tell me about your hometown and your family, follow-up her answer with a compliment such as: That sounds nice. You sound like you really love your family.
This compliment is a genuine reaction to something she just said. It is a sincere and genuine compliment that makes you seem more attentive to whatever she is saying.
Here are a few more questions you can try out and follow with corresponding compliments:
- Do you like living in (name your city)?
- Do you have any special nickname given to you by your friends or family?
- Are you happy with your job? Or do you dream of switching careers or landing another position?
- Tell me more about your friends…
- Do you still keep in touch with your childhood friends?
Because these compliments are constructed with depth and are more complex than one-liners, any way the girl answers will allow you a peek deeper into her life, history, thoughts and complexities as a person. This is a solid foundation for any kind of friendship. Listening and reciprocating with an appropriate response.
Compliment her on her willingness and openness to share with you. Don’t be pushy and aggressive with your questions. Remember to thank her for opening up to you and sharing details of her life.
Here are some compliments for each answer she shares with you:
- I can really see how much you love your dog and it’s very sweet.
- It really shows how much you care about your friends by the way you talk about them.
- It sounds like you are very good at your job. You sound very fulfilled and happy.
- You sound like you really care about your neighborhood and the people around you.
- It seems like you are inspiring a lot of people with the work you are doing.
Responding with compliments to answers she shared can demonstrate that you are a really good listener. It can show your genuine interest in really getting to know her.
If you’re looking for other highly-effective icebreakers without the compliments attached, check out these good icebreaker questions fit for a party or date-night.
Complimenting a Girl using Humor
Conversations strengthen bonds among friends. But if you’re not ready to get deep with serious topics, you can share a good laugh instead. You can combine humor and compliments into conversations.
Make a girl laugh with random jokes and funny questions. While laughter ensues, try to interject a few compliments here and there. Learning what she finds funny and she finds offensive or not funny can be a good roadmap to tailor fit your compliments to her liking.
Check out these examples of funny questions and respective compliment samples you can use after the girl answers your question.
- What is the weirdest pet peeve you ever had? It’s refreshing to know someone who is as comfortable in their own skin as you.
- If your life was a TV comedy, what would it be titled? It’s adorable that you don’t take life too seriously.
- If you were a supervillain, what crime would you commit? You have the most contagious laughter.
- What is the funniest pickup line you’ve heard? **I love how you tell stories. **
- What is your favorite movie? Why? You have good taste in movies! I love that movie too!
- What’s the greatest prank you’ve ever pulled on someone? Or someone has pulled on you? I love that you find the weirdest things funny as well.
- Do you think you would survive in a zombie apocalypse? It’s inspiring that you are well prepared for anything.
- What cartoon character is your favorite? Can you copy his/her voice? If she does, and she belts out a loud laugh, tell her: “You have the most soulful laugh I have ever heard in my life.“
Eager to get more laughs out of your lady friend? Here are more funny questions to ask a girl and make her laugh out loud.
Sincerity Trumps All
Yes, when it comes to complimenting a girl, sincerity trumps all.
You can choose to use compliments as icebreakers during an awkward date, or to start a conversation with a longtime female colleague. You can incorporate compliments into serious conversations, or pair them with funny questions.
Whichever route you take, as long as the compliment is sincere and kind, it’s guaranteed to make a girl’s day.
✍️ October 30, 2020