100 Questions to Ask Before Marriage
Getting married is one of the most monumental steps you can take in life! Before getting married, you need to be sure of your decision. Here are 100 questions you should ask yourself and your partner before you decide to tie the knot!✍️ May 20, 2022
Have you ever heard of the saying, “Marriage is not always a bed of roses”? Well, it couldn’t be more true. Now more than ever, you should be sure of who you’re marrying and for what reasons you’re doing it because it’s not gonna be easy.
You can’t just rush into something you’re not sure about. After all, it’s not something you can just undo or take back. Marriage is a decision for life and a tough one at that!
Before you get married, you need to get to know each other better to figure out if you can stand each other’s presence for the rest of your life. The days heading towards the wedding day would be the perfect time for you to be really sure of each other and your chosen future together.
In order to help you get to know each other, you can also ask questions that would affirm your feelings and your choice to get married.
These 100 questions will help you see if you are both on the same page in your relationship and regarding your future!
How to Get To Know Your Partner Better
They say love is the only reason and thing you need for you to officially tie the knot but history and practical experience in the modern world will tell you otherwise. Loving someone entails that you should know them beforehand. It’s not an automatic thing.
It’s built after numerous ups and downs together. Truly knowing the person, flaws and all, and still being able to say that you love them… well, that’s the real deal!
Here are the things you need to do in order to get to know your partner better:
1. Be honest and open! Always be honest about your feelings with one another.
2. Honor quality time! Spend lots of quality time together.
3. Share your thoughts and feelings! Check in on each other.
4. Find common interests! Share your hobbies with one another.
5. Always listen! Improve on your listening and understanding of one another.
6. Get to know your partner’s loved ones! Meet his/her oldest and best friends.
Top 100 Questions To Ask Before Marriage
Do you really know your partner? It’s a common mistake for couples not to ask each other difficult questions before their wedding. This can lead to misunderstandings, problems, and lots of arguments. If you want to make sure that you’re both on the same page, you should ask the following questions!
👉 Suggested read: 100+ Fun Relationship Questions for Couples
1. Do you want to have children?
Probably the most basic and obvious question to ask your partner.
2. How many children do you want?
A necessary follow-up question.
3. What do you think about my family?
A good relationship with your in-laws is also vital.
4. How often are we going to visit our families?
Another thing to consider and you should evaluate lots of factors before doing so.
5. Where are we going to live?
Your life would be much better if you have this figured out before the wedding.
6. What do you enjoy most about sex?
Sex is essential in Marriage.
7. What are your sexual hard limits?
You must have known this by now but it’s still good to make sure.
8. What about me turns you on the most?
This is going to be a fun conversation,darling!
📖 Suggested read: 100 Questions to Ask Your Character
9. How do you usually express your anger?
This is very important so that you know what to expect.
10. Is there something about me that annoys you?
It’s important because you’re going to be together for a very, very long time.
11. Which things do you think are going to make or break a relationship?
A very deep one that will leave your partner thinking.
12. Which three things do you appreciate most about me?
Remind each other about the beautiful things that you can see in one another.
13. What attracted you to me?
The first beautiful thing your partner found in you is such a precious memory you should both cherish.
14. What does loyalty and faithfulness mean to you in our marriage?
Can’t stress how important this is.
15. How do you see us ten years from now?
You gotta have aspirations and dreams for the both of you.
16. What’s your most unforgettable moment of us together?
Dwell on the good times, baby.
17. Which baby names do you like?
Let your partner pick one girl name and one boy name then decide together.
18. When was the last time you felt most loved by me?
Take note of it and do more of it!
19. What makes you jealous?
This green devil can really ruin relationships so better avoid it.
20. How much money do you make?
Transparency when it comes to finances should be established between the two of you.
21. Do you have any major debt?
What’s mine is yours…including debt, apparently.
22. Are you a saver or a spender?
Ask this so that you can help one another control your budget.
23. Are we going to have a prenuptial agreement before we get married?
One of the most controversial decisions between fiancees!
📖 Suggested read: Things to talk about | 1000+ Great ideas for a conversation
24. Do we need to open a joint account in the bank?
It’s going to be a conjugal property so you both have to really, really talk about it.
25. What’s more important, a big house or a house in a good location?
Your home address is essential to your future.
26. How much should our monthly expenses be?
This is gonna make or break your budget.
27. Where are we going to send the children to study?
Public or private school?
28. Are you okay with white lies just to avoid arguments?
Believe me, some people just prefer to look the other way and decide to save their relationship.
29. Have I ever disappointed you?
Disappointments are common so don’t worry.
30. Do you think I’m beautiful/handsome?
The answer should be a YES!
31. Is it okay if I quit my job when we already have two (2) children?
Working women usually ask this to their partners.
32. What are your career goals?
It’s important that you support each other in your dreams.
🤓 Suggested read: 250+ Questions to get to know someone
33. Is it okay if I work overtime and go home late?
You don’t own your own time anymore when you’re married.
34. Are you willing to migrate to another country if my job needs me to?
This is definitely a very tough decision for you both.
35. What is your dream vacation?
You can then both save up to afford that dream vacay of yours.
36. What do you think of my best friends?
“If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends!”
37. Is it okay if I party with my friends once in a while?
If your partner is a happy-go-lucky kind of person, you can both go party!
38. Are we going to get a cleaning lady?
If you’re both working, I suggest you do!
39. Are you okay with me smoking and/or drinking?
Your partner’s vices affect not only him/her alone, but also you.
40. How important is your faith and religion to you?
Controversial but you gotta get past this.
41. Do you expect me to attend your church activities?
You just need to compromise on your expectations.
42. Do you cook?
Simple yet it will affect a lot of your traditions, chores and expenses.
43. How often do you think we should dine out or do take out in a week?
Definitely should agree on this one!
44. How are we going to split the bills?
Gone are the forlorn days when husbands/men do all the paying.
45. What’s more important, work or family?
This is where the work-life balance principle sets in.
46. How far apart do you want our kids’ ages be?
Family planning really does help.
47. Would you ever consider divorce?
It’s gonna be tough talking about this but you should.
48. Are you against birth control?
It’s only practical that you talk about this kind of stuff.
49. Who should do the household chores?
You can both agree depending on your workloads and the chores you know how to do.
📖 Suggested read: 250+ Questions to Ask a Guy: The Only List You'll Need
50. What do you think is your role as a husband/wife?
This should be very clear from the start. This role is for life.
51. How well do you budget?
Another question concerning finances that is essential to be tackled by every couple.
52. What if we want something we can’t afford?
Discipline and contentment is truly the key to avoiding unnecessary expenses.
53. Do we need to save for retirement?
Unless you’re filthy rich then YES!
54. Do you enjoy traveling?
If both of you do then you’re gonna be in for a beautiful adventure together all your lives!
55. How important is spending time with your friends is to you?
You need to know how to balance everything.
55. How should we decide if we both have opposing ideas/decisions?
Compromise is key.
56. What’s your idea of a perfect day?
You should make each day a perfect day for each other.
🤓 Suggested read: The 5 best apps for couples to improve your relationship in 2022
57. Where would you like to travel?
Create a bucket list together!
58. Do you have a family history of diseases?
This can help you both prevent any diseases that you might inherit.
59. What is your biggest fear about marriage?
Together, you can conquer those fears.
60. What would you do if we fell out of love?
If you truly love each other, you can make it work.
61. What do you think we should do to spice up our relationship?
The possibilities are endless…
62. Does the wedding day excite you or terrify you?
A little of both, right?
63. What is our budget for the wedding?
Focus on the budget, you don’t have to really splurge on it.
64. Who do we invite to our wedding?
Surround yourself with people who make you happy. Your happiness is more important than theirs during the wedding.
65. Are we going to have a big wedding or an intimate one?
It all depends on you!
66. Do you like pets?
It would be magical if you both do!
67. How many pets are enough for you?
Agree on this since it’s also a huge responsibility.
68. At what age do you want to retire?
Plan your financial future with a retirement fund.
69. How do you feel about helping to pay your partner’s debt?
Then again, “What’s mine is yours.”
70. How often do you use credit cards?
Controlling the use of credit cards will be beneficial for both of you.
71. Do you think I’m sexually attractive?
Getting into intimate details can actually improve your relationship with one another.
72. Are you ready to sacrifice some of your personal space?
You better be for life!
73. Are you ready to move in with me?
74. Are you ready to sleep with only one person for the rest of your life?
Love and marriage can push you to be loyal.
📖 Suggested read: 👨🏻🔬 Top 50 Science Pick-Up Lines
75. Do you expect any changes to our relationship after marriage?
I hope not, right? However, there is the added responsibility.
76.What are your favorite holidays?
You can bond over your love for the holidays. I love ‘em all.
77. How did you celebrate your birthdays?
Of course, your partner wouldn’t want you to miss home too much!
78. Do you like to give expensive gifts?
Discipline and simplicity are key to a happy life.
79. What are your family traditions that you think we should still follow?
If you have a partner that’s big on traditions, try to respect them.
80. In what situations won’t you want to talk to me?
Avoid doing this. Communication is also key.
81. Would you prefer a flexi-time job or a full-time job?
You should agree on this as a couple.
82. What’s the best way to prove to you that I love you?
Cheezy but works every time!
👉 Suggested read: 12 Fun Icebreaker Games for Kids
83. What repels you of sex?
You gotta know this to improve your sex life!
84. What do you dream about most often?
Talking about dreams with your partner can actually bring you closer to one another.
85. If you could plan the perfect date with me, what would that include?
Go on dates on the days towards the wedding and be consistent about it.
86. Why marriage?
One of the most difficult to answer but you just gotta know.
87. How do you handle change?
Marriage is a big change so both of you should be ready for it.
88. How well do we handle disagreements?
Make sure never to sleep without resolving an issue.
89. How much do we value time together and time apart?
Getting married doesn’t mean being physically together everyday. It’s also healthy to be apart sometimes.
90. When do you feel unsafe sharing your feelings with me?
It’s every couple’s goal to be each other’s confidant.
91. What is your most wonderful childhood memory?
Getting married can make you feel nostalgic at times.
92. Do you have any major secrets that you haven’t shared yet?
It would be like going on your very own couples’ confession or a therapy before getting hitched!
93. Are you open to counseling if we ever need it?
Jst so that you can cross that off your list.
94. How sure are you of me?
This can lead to cheezy affirmations of love from the both of you.
95. Are you having cold feet?
Another way of asking if you’re totally sure..
96. Would you ever borrow money from friend’s or family, if in dire need?
Last option, hopefully.
97. Do you believe that husbands and wives should have equal share in the chores?
Knowledge of chores is not a gender role.
98. What are your financial goals?
You’re both in this together so you need to discuss it.
99. What is your biggest fear?
Take refuge in the knowledge that you have each other’s backs.
100. How can I help you when you’re stressed?
A beautiful and very comforting question that will make you love your partner even more.
👉 In need of more questions to ask your boyfriend or girlfriend? Follow these links to have access to unlimited questions to help you get to know the person you like or love even better:
Whether you’re just engaged or have been married for years, these books can help you keep the spark alive and build a robust and lasting bond with your spouse. From communication tips to advice on resolving conflict, they’re essential reading for any happy marriage:
- The Single Girl’s Guide to Marrying a Man, His Kids, and His Ex-Wife: Becoming A Stepmother With Humor And Grace
- For Married Men Only: Three Principles for Loving Your Wife
- Relationship Goals: How to Win at Dating, Marriage, and Sex
- The Emotionally Healthy Marriage: Growing Closer by Understanding Each Other