Halloween isn’t just about the candy and the spookiness. Try out playing this Halloween Trivia Game for this coming Halloween!Party & Drinking Games 👇
- 😄 How to Play Halloween Trivia
- 🤩 Play Trivia Online
- 👻 Halloween Trivia Questions for Kids
- 🎃 Halloween Trivia Questions for Everyone
- ☠️ Halloween Movie Trivia Questions
- 🎥 Halloween Trivia Questions for Adults
How to play the Halloween Trivia Game
If you’re unsure about how to play the Halloween Trivia game, it’s no problem. Here’s a simple guide everyone can follow.
Playing in Groups
Step 1: Split everyone into two groups. While you can play with more groups, it’ll definitely be easier to play with just two. Otherwise, you might have to use Round Robin or any other method that could help decide which group wins.
Overwhelmed with team names? Don’t worry! We got you!
Here are some Halloween trivia team name suggestions that could possibly work for you.
Halloween Trivia Team Names
- Team Jack O’Lanterns
- Team Candy Corn
- Team Witches
- Team Zombies
- Team Ghosts-in-a-Blanket
- Team Trick-or-Treat
- Team Candy
- Team Caramel Apples
Step 2: Decide how many points everyone is playing for. This basically establishes up to how many points it would be before a team wins. It can be as simple as 10 points, but if everyone’s playing quick, maybe you can bring it up to 20 points!
It’s entirely up to you. Just be creative and have fun with it!
Play Trivia Online
If you’re looking to just play Trivia and aren’t that particular of a topic, then you should definitely try out our webapp! The trivia questions found there are basically rolling 24⁄7 and can be played at any time.
Join Trivia Live
Otherwise, if you’re always on the go and you find yourself craving for some trivia questions, we highly recommend checking out our apps! Offering tons of different categories, you’ll never be bored with this!
Halloween can be more than just the candy and the spookiness. What if, before the children get a treat, they have to answer a Halloween Trivia Question? 😝 No? Bad idea?
Anyone and everyone can play the Halloween Trivia game. We have questions fit for everyone, just for adults, just for kids, and to make things even more interesting, a special bonus category for trivia questions on all things Halloween-movie related.
Enough babbling, let’s get to it!
Halloween Trivia Questions for Kids
Worried about having some questions that kids may not be that familiar with? We understand, which is why we specifically picked out questions that are fit for the young ones!
These questions are easy enough for a younger audience, but can still challenge them! Try your best not to butt in and play for your kids!
1. Which animal is often associated with Halloween?
Not just any cat, but black cats to be specific. In the olden days, black cats were believed to be witches’ companions. This is why black cats are often remembered during Halloween.
2. What was Candy Corn originally called?
- Chicken Feed
- White, Orange, and Red
- just Candy
When Candy Corn was first introduced, half of America’s labor force was made up of farmers and a rooster was placed on the front of the box.
3. Which famous magician died on Halloween?
- Joseph Burrus
- Charles Rowen
- Harry Houdini
- Washington Bishop
Harry Houdini was most famous for being an escape artist who wow-ed many people all over the world.
4. What was the real name of the “Jack O’Lantern”?
- Jack Halloween
- Stingy Jack
- Jack Ghost
- Scary Jack
Stingy Jack was a part of an old Irish folktale from which Jack O’Lanterns originated from.
5. What did Stingy Jack do?
- Steal candies from kids
- Hoarded candy and never shared
- Tricked everyone in his neighborhood
- Tricked the Devil twice
Tricked the Devil Twice
First, Jack tricked the Devil into turning himself into a coin. Next, he tricked the Devil into climbing up a tree.
6. Why do we put out Jack O’Lanterns for Halloween?
- To light up our houses
- To have reasons for pumpkin carving
- To scare away Stingy Jack
- Just for decoration
To scare away Stingy Jack
After tricking the Devil and making deals that Jack not be disturbed by him, when he died, neither God nor the Devil wanted to let him in. It was said that Stingy Jack now roams the Earth with only burning coal inside a carved-out turnip.
7. What did Stingy Jack do to keep himself from the Devil?
- He kept the Devil near a cross
- He sprayed him with Holy Water
- He placed the Devil somewhere far far away
- He destroyed whatever object the Devil turned into
He kept the Devil near a cross
Keeping the Devil near a cross kept him from turning back into his original state.
8. What’s the most famous Halloween Costume?
A Witch is known to be one of the most famous costumes for Halloween.
9. According to polls, what is the most popular Halloween candy?
- Reese’s Buttercups
Might come as a shock to most people, but yes. Skittles takes the #1 spot. Followed by Reese’s, M&M’s, and then Snickers.
10. When is Halloween?
- November 01
- November 02
- October 30
- October 31
Halloween always falls on the last day of October. The celts believed that October 31 was the day when the line between living and the dead blurred, which is why we dressed up on Halloween! To ward off the scary ghosts!
Halloween Trivia Questions for Everyone
Hey, we didn’t forget about you! Now that the kids have had their fun, maybe it’s time for some harder questions! But don’t worry, some of these can still be played by the kids. 😄
Let’s all have some fun together now, shall we? 🙌
1. Where did the tradition of Halloween come from?
- Greek Mythology
Halloween came from the Celtic festival of samhain where people lit bonfires and worse costumes to ward off ghosts.
2. What was Halloween previously known as?
- Hallow Day
- Halloween Day
- All Hallows Eve
- Hallow Night
All Hallows Eve
The Celts celebrated their new year on November 01, so they believed that on the day before their New Year, the boundary between living and dead blurred. Ghosts of the dead were believed to have returned to Earth on that night.
3. Why did the Celts light bonfires in celebration of this?
- For burning their sacrifice
- To help ghosts find their homes
- To keep themselves warm
- To make smores
For burning their sacrifices
It was said that the ghosts that returned on All Hallows Eve were often disruptive. That’s why the Celts made bonfires where they sacrificed crops and sometimes animals to the Celtic Deities.
4. What percentage of America’s candies sold annually does Halloween make up?
Annually, yes, Halloween makes up a quarter of America’s candies sold annually. Another Holiday that takes up a large portion of that is Christmas!
5. What two cultures brought together a new modern version of Halloween?
- Americans and Europeans
- Celts and American Indians
- European ethnic groups and Celts
- European ethnic groups and American Indians
European ethnic groups and American Indians
Different European ethnic groups and some American Indians created a whole new version of Halloween which was less religious and superstitious.
6. When did Halloween lose most of its superstitions/religious aspects?
- 30th century
- 20th century
- 50th century
- 40th century
Most of the superstitions and religious aspects of Halloween that came from the Celts were lost by the beginning of the 20th century.
7. Which country used large beets instead of pumpkins as their “Jack O’Lanterns”?
Ireland and Scotland used either turnips or potatoes to scare away Stingy Jack and other wandering spirits.
8. Who is the 1st First Lady to decorate the White House for Halloween?
- Bess Truman
- Mamie Eisenhower
- Jacqueline Kennedy
- Lady Bird Johnson
First Lady Mamie Eisenhower (wife to President Dwight D. Eisenhower) first decorated the White House in 1958 for Halloween.
9. Which Roman Goddess do we pay tribute to when bobbing for apples?
Pomona is the Roman Goddess of Fruit and Trees. It was believed that the Halloween tradition of bobbing for apples came from Roman Traditions.
10. When was the first Halloween celebration?
Halloween was first introduced to the Americans in the 1840s due to the large number of Irish immigrants that were fleeing from the potato famine.
BONUS: Halloween Movie Trivia Questions
Watching Horror movies on Halloween has got to be one of my favorite traditions. Lights out, tons of popcorn, and a blanket over my head to protect me from the scary scenes 😂
Are you one of those people that watched a lot of Horror movies as well? So how much do you know about these movies? Take the Halloween Movie Trivia Quiz now!
1. Which movie is the most successful in terms of Global Box Office?
- The Conjuring
- Hannibal Lecter
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Child’s Play
Basing off of Global Box Office success, The Conjuring bags the #1 spot. While The Conjuring series has 8 films, the estimated box office revenue is at about $1.9 billion.
2. Which movie claims to be the most successful horror franchise in all of history?
- Friday the 13th
- Texas Chain Saw Massacre
- 13 Ghosts
The original movie is a 1954 Japanese film. Initially, Eiji Tsuburaya (special effects) wanted a giant octopus instead of a dinosaur-like creature.
3. Which Horror movie had a serial killer in a William Shatner-like mask?
- Friday the 13th
- Nightmare on Elm Street
- Jeepers Creepers
Due to a restricted budget, the props team of Halloween had to use the cheapest mask available. Only changing it by spray-painting the mask white and altering the eye holes.
4. The movie Psycho was the first movie to do what?
- Show a movie that involves stealing
- Show a psychological horror movie
- Show a woman in just a bra and slip
- Show a movie that’s based off of a novel
Show a woman in just a bra and slip
It was in the opening scene when Marion Crane wore only a white bra and a half slip. Imagine the time it was released! 1960, seeing that on the big screen must’ve been pretty shocking!
5. Who does all the killing in the movie Friday the 13th?
If you haven’t seen the franchise, you would probably think that it was Jason (who the story revolves around) who did the killing, but it was actually his mother, Pamela Voorhees.
6. The headless horseman was featured in which Tim Burton movie?
- James and the Giant Peach
- The Sleepy Hollow
- Addams Family
The Sleepy Hollow
Sleepy Hollow is a 1999 American gothic supernatural horror film that stars Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci. The headless horseman is featured at the bottom half of the poster.
7. What made the videotape in The Ring so unusual?
- It was made from a CD in the future
- It couldn’t be destroyed
- It played on its own
- It didn’t include a timecode
It didn’t include a timecode
While the tape playing itself is pretty unusual, you’d probably really get that if it’s haunted. But the fact that it didn’t include a timecode, meant that it couldn’t have been made with an electronic device.
8. Which of these following famous franchises came from Disney Studios?
- Harry Potter
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Lord of The Rings
Pirates of the Caribbean
While many people wouldn’t believe it, but yes, Pirates of the Caribbean is part of Disney. Harry Potter is from Warner Brothers, LOTR is from New Line Cinemas, while Shrek was produced by Dreamworks Animations.
9. Which movie wasn’t meant to be horror, but is covering up some spooky behind-the-scenes stories?
- Nightmare Before Christmas
- The Wizard of Oz
- Harry Potter
The Wizard of Oz
The 1939 film The Wizard of Oz has a pretty spooky backstory. Aside from Judy Garland (playing Dorothy) being put on a horrible diet, there were many other disturbing things about the movie. Feel free to look it up!
10. Which (horror) author has the most movie adaptations of his books?
- Stephen King
- J.K. Rowling
- Robert Louis Stevenson
- L. Frank Baum
Out of his 75 (credited) written works, at least 50 film adaptations have been released or are currently in production.
Halloween Trivia Questions for Adults
Okay, are the kids asleep? Time to break out the Trivia Questions for the adults 😉
Here’s a fun twist, for every wrong answer that someone gives, have them do a dare or have them take a shot.
Ready to take the challenge? Don’t be afraid.
1. What does “hallow” mean?
- A way to greet someone else
A saint (adj.) or a holy person(noun)
2. Which item is banned on Halloween in Hollywood?
- Jack O’Lanterns
- Bright Lights
- Silly String
The ordinance was passed in 2004, listing several environmental and safety concerns.
3. Which country has the first written account of the phrase “trick or treat” being used?
Published in November of 1927. ”Trick or Treat’ Is Demand,” was written by Herald (Lethbridge, Alberta).
4. Which country holds the record for having the World’s heaviest pumpkin?
The Guinness World Record for the world’s heaviest pumpkin is at 2,624.6 pounds by Mathias Willemijins of Belgium (as of writing in July 2021)
5. Which candy is the most popular Halloween candy?
- Candy Corn
Chocolate is strong, coming in at #1. But don’t worry, candy corn is at #2.
✍️ October 29, 2021