Topics to talk about
We have all been in a situation where we are talking to someone, the conversation dies, and both are sitting there thoughtfully because nobody can think of a topic. Not anymore! Here are some tips on how to keep the conversation going and some questions to get you started.✍️ October 20, 2022
- 💡 Tips on How to Have a Good Conversation
- 🧐 Interesting Topics to Talk About
- 👍 Good Topics to Talk About
- 🤯 Deep Topics to Talk About
- ☀️ Fun Topics to Talk About
- 😸 Random Topics to Talk About
The best way to choose the right topic and questions for a conversation is to think about what you want to achieve with the conversation. Do you want to get to know someone better on a deeper level? Or are you looking for something more light-hearted? Once you know what you want to achieve, choosing the right topics and questions will be easier.
If you have trouble starting a conversation, don’t worry! There are plenty of ways to break the ice. Check out these 100+ conversation starters & icebreakers for any situation!
Tips on How to Have a Good Conversation
Before we look at the topics you can discuss, let’s explore how to keep a conversation going. These tips will help you have better conversations and prevent awkward silences!
1. Pay attention to what your conversation partner is saying
One of the most important things in a conversation is to listen to what the other person is saying. When you’re talking to someone, really try to hear and understand their words instead of just waiting for your turn to speak.
As soon as you come across something interesting or something that the other person finds exciting, talk about this topic for a while. Most of the time, people like to talk about themselves, so it’s generally good to focus on it and be a good listener.
2. Ask follow-up questions
Asking follow-up questions is a great way to keep the conversation going. When your conversation partner says something, try to elaborate on it and ask them more about it.
For example, if they say they love music, you could ask them what their favorite band is. This shows that you’re interested in what they’re saying, and it’ll give them a chance to talk more about themselves - which, as we mentioned before, people usually enjoy doing. So never forget to ask a few follow-up questions.
3. Ask questions about your current situation
A great way to keep the conversation going is to ask questions about your current situation. Depending on the situation, you can ask different questions.
For example, if you are waiting for something, you could ask the person how long they have been waiting. Or if you are at an event or a show, you can ask whether she has already seen the artist or the person standing on the stage. If you’re traveling anywhere, you might ask where the person is going. If you are in a place where food is served, you can talk about your food. If music is played, you can chat about it.
4. Don’t interrupt
Interrupting your conversation partner is not only impolite, but it will also make it harder for you to listen to what they’re saying. Let them finish their thoughts before you speak, and try to avoid talking over them.
If you’re not sure whether they’re finished speaking, you can always ask them if they want to continue or not. This shows that you care about what they have to say, and it’ll allow them to actually say it.
5. Be respectful of their opinions and beliefs
You don’t have to agree with everything your conversation partner says, but respecting their opinions and beliefs is important. You can have a discussion without getting into an argument - simply state your own opinion and explain why you feel that way.
6. Avoid talking about yourself too much
Of course, it’s perfectly fine to talk about yourself - a conversation is, after all, a two-way street. But if you find that you’re doing most of the talking, it might be a good idea to focus on your conversation partner a bit more.
Try to ask them more about themselves and listen to their answers. Remember tip one: paying attention to what they’re saying is key to a good conversation.
7. Don’t talk about politics or religion (unless you know the person well)
Politics and religion are two topics that can lead to heated debates. If you don’t know the person well, it’s best to avoid these topics altogether. However, if you know the person well and think they would enjoy a discussion on these topics, go ahead!
8. Do not force a conversation
Sometimes people just don’t feel like chatting. Often, if the person gives you a lot of one-word answers, doesn’t make eye contact, or doesn’t ask questions, it means they don’t want to have a conversation. Everyone has a bad day.
Now that you know some tips on how to have a good conversation, go out there and practice! The more you talk to people, the easier it’ll become. Soon, you’ll be a pro at making small talk - and who knows, you might even enjoy it! If you want some more advice check out these tips on how to start a conversation!
Interesting Topics to Talk About
No matter how much you like someone, there are only so many times you can talk about the weather before things get dull. If you’re looking for some interesting things to talk about with your friends, here are a few suggestions.
20 Interesting Questions to Ask 🧐
The following questions can be used as conversation starters or topics to get people thinking.
1. What do you usually do when you hang out with your friends?
This is a great question to ask if you’re trying to get to know someone better. It can help you learn about their hobbies, interests, and what they like to do in their free time.
2. Do you prefer a lot of friends or a few intimate ones?
This question can help you get a sense of someone’s social preferences. It can also be a helpful way to find out if they prefer more meaningful conversations or if they’re happy just chatting about the latest gossip.
4. What was the best/worst/most interesting job you had?
This question can lead to some great stories, and it’s a fun way to find out more about someone’s work history.
5. What are your thoughts on (controversial topic)?
This can be a great way to get a debate going, but be careful not to get too wrapped up in the discussion and forget to actually listen to what the other person has to say!
6. Which current trend will look the most ridiculous in ten years?
This is a fun question that can lead to some interesting predictions about the future.
7. What’s your favorite book of all time?
This is a good question to ask if you’re looking for something to chat about with someone who likes to read.
8. Have you been on any exciting trips lately?
This question is perfect for talking with someone you’ve just met. It can also lead to some interesting stories if the person you’re talking to has been somewhere interesting recently.
10. If you wouldn’t have to work to earn money, what would you do with your time?
This question can tell you a lot about someone’s priorities and interests. It can also be a fun way to daydream about what you would do if you had all the time in the world!
11. Do you have any pets?
This is a great question for animal lovers. You can also ask them if they could show you a picture of their pet if they have one.
12. What is something people are always surprised to learn about you?
This is a great question to get to know someone better, and it’s always interesting to find out new things about people.
13. What’s one thing you can’t live without?
We all have different things that are important to us and makeup who we are.
14. Do you have any fun plans for the weekend?
This is also a great question to ask before making plans with someone.
15. What skill would you like to learn?
It’s always interesting to find out what other people are interested in.
16. What is the top thing on your bucket list?
This is a great question for finding out what someone’s priorities and goals are.
17. What does your perfect weekend look like?
This question can give you a good idea of what someone likes to do for fun.
18. Which social media platform do you just not get?
This question can help you understand someone’s relationship with social media.
19. How do you enjoy spending your alone time?
Introverts will love this question!
20. What’s one piece of advice that you’ve never forgotten?
You might learn something new from the person you’re talking to, or you might be able to share some wisdom of your own.
👉 Suggested read: 250+ Great Conversation Starters for Any Situation
Good Topics to Talk About
How to have a good conversation? It’s easy! Just choose one of the following topics/questions.
20 Good Questions to Ask 👍
The best questions are those that require more than a yes or no answer. Here’s our list of great questions to ask someone in a conversation!
1. What’s one thing you like about yourself?
We all have things we’re proud of, which could be a talent, skill, or quality we possess. Asking someone about the things they like about themselves is a great way to get to know them better and make them feel good at the same time!
2. What would be the first thing you would do if money was no object?
With this question, you get to know their dreams and what they would do if they had no financial limitations. It’s a great way to get to know someone’s hopes and aspirations!
3. What’s your love language?
The five love languages are words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. Knowing someone’s love language can help you understand how they feel loved and appreciated.
4. If you could relive one day of your life, what day would it be?
This question allows you to get to know someone’s favorite memories.
🤓 Suggested read: Best Conversation Starters for Friends
5. What are you most thankful for in life?
Asking someone what they’re thankful for is a great way to get to know them better and to see the positive things in life through their eyes.
6. What was the happiest day of your life?
This question allows you to relive someone’s happiest moments with them.
7. What’s something you would like to change about yourself?
No one is perfect, and we all have things we would like to change about ourselves.
8. What was your first job?
Learning about someone’s first job is a great way to get to know them better. It can also be fun to reminisce about our first jobs!
9. What would be your dream job?
Maybe they already have their dream job or are still working towards it. Either way, this question can tell you a lot about someone’s passions and what they’re striving for.
10. What would be the opposite version of yourself?
This question is fun and allows you to get to know someone’s personality better.
11. If you could time travel, would you go to the future or the past?
Both options have perks, so it’s interesting to see which one someone would choose.
12. What do you do when you’re having a bad day?
We all have bad days, but how we choose to cope with them can say a lot about our personality.
13. How do you like to spend a rainy Sunday?
A lazy Sunday spent in bed with a good book is just as valid of an answer as spending the day out exploring.
14. What’s the first thing in the morning that you do?
Do they hit the snooze button a few times or jump out of bed full of energy?
15. What is your favorite video game?
Do they like spending hours on multiplayer games, or do they prefer more casual mobile games?
16. What is your favorite movie genre?
Do they like action movies or comedies?
17. What TV show do you think deserves to be canceled?
This question can lead to interesting conversations about art, culture, and what we value in entertainment.
18. Who is your favorite musician/band?
Music is a great way to get to know someone’s taste and what they’re into.
19. What is one of your favorite smells?
This question can take you on a sensory journey as you try to imagine the smell they’re thinking of.
20. If your life was a movie, what would the title be?
Their answer to this question can say a lot about their personality. Do they see their life as a comedy or a drama?
Deep Topics to Talk About
When you want to get to know someone better, sometimes it’s best to ask deep questions. These questions can help you learn about someone’s values, views on life, and what they’re passionate about.
20 Deep Questions to Ask 🤯
The following questions are some of the most thought-provoking and deepest questions you can ask someone.
📖 Suggested read: The Best Icebreaker Group Games For Any Occasion
1. Is it ever okay to lie?
Is there ever a time when it’s better to keep the truth to yourself? If so, when?
2. Do you believe that humans are truly capable of change?
If someone has done something terrible in the past, do you think they can ever be good again?
3. Do you believe that everyone has good in them?
This question is similar to the previous one but takes a different angle. If someone has done something evil, do you think they still have good within them?
4. Do you think that extraterrestrial life exists?
If so, what do you think they’re like?
5. What would it be if you could change one thing about the world?
So many things are wrong with the world, but if you could only change one thing, what would it be?
6. How do you define the meaning of happiness?
For some people, happiness is a state of being content with what they have. For others, it’s about constantly chasing after new experiences and goals. How do you define happiness?
7. What do you think is the most important lesson that life has to teach?
We can learn so many things from life, but what do you think is the most important lesson?
8. Do you believe in everlasting love?
Do you think that true love lasts forever, or do you think there’s such a thing as an expiration date on love?
9. If you were granted one wish, what would you wish for?
This is a classic question, but it’s always interesting to see what people come up with. Be sure to ask follow-up questions about why they chose their particular wish.
👉 Suggested read: 6 Great Family Conversation Starters
10. What do you think is the most significant event from your childhood?
There are always events from our childhood that shape who we are as adults. What event do you think had the most significant impact on shaping who you are today?
11. Do you think it is morally justifiable to kill animals for food?
There are a lot of different opinions on this topic, so it can be interesting to see where someone falls on the spectrum.
12. What motivates you to keep going when things get tough?
When things are tough, it’s easy to give up. But what motivates you to keep going even when the going gets tough?
13. What do you think is the purpose of life?
This question has puzzled philosophers for centuries, and there’s no easy answer. But it can be interesting to hear someone’s take on what they think the purpose of life is.
14. What do you think is the most significant thing that we can do to combat climate change?
Many things need to be done to combat climate change, but what do you think is the most important thing?
15. Do you think that there’s such a thing as fate or destiny?
Do you believe that everything happens for a reason, or do you think that we’re all just products of our choices?
16. What do you think is the most important thing to teach children?
Children are the future, so it’s essential to teach them the things that will help them be successful and happy in life.
17. What do you think happens to us after we die?
This is another question that has puzzled people for centuries. Do you believe in an afterlife, reincarnation, or something else?
18. What would it be if you could go back in time and give your younger self some advice?
We all have things that we wish we could go back and tell our younger selves.
19. What’s one thing you would like to change in our education system?
There are always things that can be improved in our education system. What’s one thing you would like to see changed?
20. What’s the key to a happy life, in your opinion?
There’s no one answer to this question, but it can be interesting to hear someone’s thoughts on what they think the key to happiness is.
Fun topics to talk about
Here are some topics that can keep a conversation going and are fun to talk about.
20 Fun questions to ask
The following questions can be used as conversation starters or to keep the conversation going.
1. What’s your go-to guilty pleasure?
We all have things that we love that might not be considered “highbrow”. This question can help you bond with someone over your shared love of trashy TV or junk food.
2. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
This question can lead to exciting stories, and it’s a fun way to learn more about someone’s food preferences.
3. Who was your first celebrity crush?
This question can be a fun way to take a trip down memory lane, and it’s also a great icebreaker.
4. What would it be if you could have any wild animal as a pet?
This question is perfect for animal lovers.
5. Do you have a favorite holiday? If so, what is it and why?
Every person has different traditions and things that they enjoy about holidays. This question can help you learn more about someone’s culture and what they like to do to celebrate.
6. What’s the worst gift you’ve ever received?
We all have had that one gift we didn’t know what to do with. This question can lead to some funny stories and shared experiences.
7. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
This is an excellent question for finding out about someone’s travel aspirations.
8. What do you do when nobody’s watching?
This is a fun question that can give you a glimpse into someone’s true personality.
9. What’s the best invention of all time?
This question can lead to some interesting discussions.
10. Are you a cat or a dog person?
Their answer will tell you a lot about their personality.
11. Would you rather have superhuman strength or the ability to read people’s thoughts?
Hmmm… this one is tough!
12. What’s something that can instantly make your day better?
Everyone has different things that make them happy.
13. What’s the cutest animal you’ve ever seen?
This question is sure to put a smile on their face.
14. What’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever done?
We’ve all done things that we’re not proud of.
15. What’s something most people love but hate?
Not everyone likes the same things.
16. What’s a weird hobby you have?
This is an excellent question for finding out more about someone’s interests.
17. What job would you be terrible at?
We all have our strengths and weaknesses.
18. Who would it be if you could trade places with anyone else for a day?
Can you think of someone with a life you’re curious about?
19. What always makes you laugh?
Laughter is the best medicine!
20. What do you do if you get a call from an unknown number? Do you pick it up or let it go to voicemail and google it later?
This question can give you some insight into someone’s personality.
Random Topics to Talk About
Sometimes, the weirder, the better. Here are some random topics to talk about that you can use next time you need to start a conversation.
20 Random Questions to Ask 😸
The following questions are random and weird questions to ask people. You can use them as is, or if you want, you can modify them to fit your situation better.
1. What’s your favorite sleeping position?
Do you like to sleep on your back, stomach, or side?
2. How do you take your coffee/tea?
Do you like it black, with milk and sugar, etc?
3. Are you a morning person or a night person?
Do you like to wake up early and start your day or stay up late and sleep in?
4. What would be the worst name you could give a child?
This is fun to ask if you want to get a laugh out of your conversation partner.
5. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
This is a great question to ask if you want to know someone’s personality better.
6. When and how did you find out that Santa isn’t real?
I’ll never forget the day I discovered that Santa wasn’t real.
7. What was the worst purchase you’ve ever made?
We’ve all made bad purchases at some point in our lives.
8. What’s the best joke you’ve ever heard?
Are you the kind of person that hates corny jokes or loves them?
9. What would it be if you could only eat one food for the rest of your life?
In other words, what’s your absolute favorite food?
10. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
This is an excellent question if you want to know someone’s adventurous side.
11. What’s your weirdest habit?
We all have weird habits; some are weirder than others, but they’re all part of what makes us unique.
12. What is one celebrity you would want to be stranded on a deserted island with and why?
This is a fun question to ask if you want to get to know someone’s celebrity crush.
13. How many donuts can you eat in one sitting?
Now we get to the essential questions.
14. Are sloths cuddly, or are they quite weird?
Kind of both?
15. What’s the best/worst pick-up line you’ve ever heard?
Sometimes the worst pick-up lines are the best.
16. What was the most embarrassing moment in your life so far?
Gosh, there are so many to choose from…
17. What is your spirit animal?
A spirit animal is an animal that represents who you are as a person.
18. What is one thing people consider romantic but you don’t?
Sometimes romantic gestures can seem cheesy or over-the-top.
19. What is one movie you love, but most people hate?
Warning: this question can lead to some intense conversations.
20. What’s one word you always forget how to spell?
Be honest! We’ve all been there.
Do you want more conversation topics and questions? Check out this ultimate list of things to talk about - from small talk topics to deep conversation starters! 🎉