Speed Dating Questions
With speed dating events you get the chance to meet a bunch of new people. Here we have collected 80+ great conversation starters and icebreakers for you and your speed dating experience. Check it out and find some of the best funny speed dating questions ever!✍️ May 20, 2022
- What is Speed Dating?
- Why do you need Speed Dating?
- 50 Best Speed Dating Questions to start the conversation
- 20 Funny Speed Dating Questions
- 20 Speed Dating Questions Icebreakers
- What to talk about on a first date
What is Speed Dating?
Speed dating is a great opportunity to get to know new people in a relaxed setting. On speed dating events you get the chance to talk with numerous different people.
There are many variations of speed dating, but the main gameplay is always the same: You sit down on a table and start talking with a random person for 2 to 10 minutes. After the time is up, you’ll change spots and get the chance to talk with someone else.
At the end of the event, you hand a list of people who you like to the organizers, and if two people like each other, then the contact details are shared.
Why do you need Speed Dating?
Speed dating is a unique opportunity to meet interesting people. The good thing about speed dating is that everyone involved is single and looking for a partner. So, everyone is on the same page.
But since you don’t have a lot of time to make a good impression on speed dating, you should think of great conversation starters beforehand. And we have collected the best speed dating questions for you in this article!
50 Best Speed Dating Questions to start the conversation
Getting to know someone can be tough, but we decided to help you and collected the 50 best speed dating questions for you. The following list is filled with great conversations starters to dive into deep and meaningful talks. Check it out!
1. What’s special about you?
This is a tricky question to start but with the answer, you can see how the other person views themselves.
2. What’s your favorite song?
Everyone loves music. But please remember: a bad taste in music is no reason to end the conversation immediately!
3. What is one habit you can’t stand?
Maybe you already know that you want to date this person after this speed dating experience. If that is the case, you should definitely ask this question as a conversation starter.
4. What’s your favorite movie/series?
Who doesn’t love a great movie or series? Maybe your favorites are even the same and you can dive into a fun discussion of your favorite scenes and actors.
5. What would be a reason to break up with someone?
Ask this question too soon rather than too late. Some people tend to break up because of silly stuff and you surely don’t want this to happen to you.
6. How do you usually spend your Sunday evenings?
It says a lot about a person what they spend their free time with. This speed dating question is great to get to know preferences and hobbies.
7. Why do you think humans exist?
That’s a tough one. But a great way to start a deep discussion!
📖 Suggested read: First Date Conversations ❤️
8. Have you ever cheated on someone? Or has anyone ever cheated on you?
This question is very personal, but you should clarify this topic before your first real date.
9. What do you think about marriage?
Opinions are divided on this question.
10. What would be a perfect first date for you?
Maybe dinner in a great restaurant? Or going to the cinema? Or maybe a long walk together? Find out what the first date he/she prefers on a first date!
11. What’s the best thing about summer nights?
Summer nights are just the best. Ask your partner to find out how he/she likes to spend those magical nights!
12. Which famous person would you like to meet?
This question says a lot about another person.
13. What do you think about piercings and tattoos?
Yes, even in the 21st century there are still people who judge others for having piercings and tattoos. This question is great to find out if you got one of those…
14. Have you ever experienced something supernatural?
Talking about supernatural stuff is always exciting. You don’t have to believe his/her ghost stories, but even if they’re made up, they’re sure to be incredibly thrilling…
🤓 Suggested read: Funny Icebreaker Questions
15. Do you remember your first day at school?
The first day of school for both of you was probably years ago. But sharing your memories about this particular day will lead to great discussions about your childhood.
16. What do you usually eat for breakfast?
Does he/she prefer sweet or spicy? Meat, vegetarian, or vegan? Fast food or healthy food? This question can tell you a lot about his/her eating habits.
17. Have you ever considered moving abroad? If yes where?
This question as a conversation starter is great for speed dating talks about foreign countries and cultures. Share your thoughts!
18. What was the best vacation you’ve ever had so far?
There is nothing better than traveling to foreign countries.
19. What do you do for a living?
We all have jobs and we all spend too much time doing our work. Therefore, talking about your jobs is a great opportunity to get to know each other.
20. What’s your opinion on drugs?
What does he/she think of legal drugs like alcohol and cigarettes? And how does he/she feel about illegal drugs?
21. What’s your favorite smell?
There are so many wonderful fragrances in the world. Share your thoughts!
22. How would your best friends describe you?
Best friends probably know us better than we know ourselves. With this question, you get the chance to see what his/her friends love about him/her.
23. What’s your favorite piece of clothing and why?
The truth is, we all have way too many clothes. But what’s his/her favorite piece of clothing? Maybe he’s saved a long time or it’s an heirloom. Find it out!
24. Would you like to be famous? Why do you say so?
Being famous has lots of positive and negative aspects as well. Ask this speed date question to get to know other opinions.
25. How would you describe a perfect holiday?
Does he/she prefer to go to the sea or the mountain? Country or big city? There are many different ways of how you can spend a holiday. Find out what he/she prefers!
26. Do you prefer winter or summer?
What does he/she like better: snowflakes or sunshine? Swimming or skiing? This question says a lot about him/her.
27. What is one good thing that happened to you this week?
Those who do not honor the small are not worth the great.
28. What’s your favorite food?
Is there anything better than excellent food? Ask this speed date question and discuss your eating habits.
👉 Suggested read: 200+ Interesting Questions to Ask a Girl
29. Who are you closest to in your family?
Blood is thicker than water. No matter how much our family annoys us sometimes, we still love them. We have to because they are family. But everyone has at least one family member that they’re really close to.
30. What is one thing you did understand way too late?
Maybe he/she believed in Santa Claus a little too long or he couldn’t read the clock until he/she was 12, ask this question and find out what the secret of his/her childhood is.
31. Do you speak any other languages?
With this question, you can share your knowledge about different languages.
32. What does friendship mean to you?
A friendship is a beautiful bond between two people. But what does true friendship mean for your speed dating partner?
33. How would you name your autobiography?
This is a tricky one.
34. In your opinion, what’s the best place to eat?
This is an easy question to avoid awkward silence and get to know good restaurants.
35. What’s your favorite color?
There are people who think that their favorite color says a lot about a person’s personality. If you are interested in that topic, this is a great question. And even if not it’s at least a good conversation starter for speed dating.
36. What was your longest relationship so far and how did it end?
Talking about your past love life is really important while starting a new relationship. If your conversation is going well, you may dare to ask this question.
📖 Suggested read: ❤️ 6 Great Conversation Starters for Dating
37. What was your favorite subject in school?
Was he/she more athletic or nerdy during his school days? While talking about your favorite subjects, you and the other person can share their memories of school.
38. How would you describe your taste in music?
The taste of music says a lot about a person.
39. Are you a dog or a cat person?
According to science, dog persons tend to be more lively and to follow rules, while cat persons tend to be more open-minded and sensitive.
40. What is the best job you’ve ever had?
Unfortunately, there are far too few good jobs in this world.
41. Have you ever been married?
This is an important question to ask about the other person’s past. You will probably be surprised by the fact of how many people get married very young and divorced shortly afterward.
42. What do you think, why are you single?
Yes, this is a hard one.
43. What’s your favorite sport?
There are so many different sports, which one does he/she prefer?
44. Who is your celebrity crush?
I bet it’s Megan Fox or one of the Hemsworth brothers.
45. What is something that you’re good at?
Everyone has their secret talents. Maybe he/she is good at singing, writing, or swimming. Ask this question and share your talents!
46. Are you a morning person or a night owl?
While morning persons tend to awake at an early hour and feel quite well, night owls tend to stay awake longer and also prefer to work during the night. Especially if you’re looking for a relationship, you should talk about your sleeping habits with your potential partner.
47. Do you have kids?
Another question that can never be asked too soon.
48. What’s your type?
With this question, you can find out if you’re even his/her type. This is clearly important if you want to date this person for real.
49. What’s the story behind your first kiss?
What’s better than talking about first love experiences?
50. Do you believe in love at first sight?
Yes, love at first sight really does exist. At least numerous people claim to experience this special kind of love. Ask this question on your speed dating event to share your thoughts about love.
20 Funny Speed Dating Questions
Everybody likes to laugh. The following 20 funny speed dating questions are made to make you and your chosen person smile. This list is filled with hilarious questions for you and the chosen person. Being funny is always the best way to get to know someone!
1. What would be your secret superpower?
After asking this question, let your chosen guy or girl think at least for some minutes. Because there are so many stories about great superpowers out there: Immortality, invisibility, flying, teleportation, time travel, and many more!
2. What is the cheesiest pickup line you’ve ever heard?
Are you a magician? Because whenever I look at you, everyone else disappears! There are so many cheesy pickup lines. Share your experiences!
3. Would you prefer to have 10 children or no children on your own at all?
That’s a tricky one.
👉 Suggested read: 250+ Great Conversation Starters for Any Situation
4. What do you think about sex on the first date?
You should wait for the right moment to ask this question. Otherwise, it might seem a little forward.
5. If you had a time machine, what would you like to see?
Would he/she rather travel into the past or into the future? A time machine would offer endless possibilities!
6. What is your most embarrassing experience?
Everyone has embarrassed themselves one time or another. Ask this question for speed dating and share your moments!
7. What’s the best joke you’ve ever heard?
Even if the joke was bad, try to smile at least a little.
8. If you would be an animal, what would you be?
This funny question says actually a lot about the other person. Would he/she rater be a lazy or an active animal? A fast or a slow one? A peaceful or dangerous one? Discuss it!
9. If you could have dinner with one famous person, who would you choose?
Dead or alive, of course! Openers like this are great conversation starters for every occasion.
10. What do you think about pineapples as a pizza topping?
This question is really difficult. Hopefully, it doesn’t end in a fight!
11. How was your first drinking experience?
Sharing your first experience with alcohol can always be funny. Hopefully, he/she wasn’t too young, when she/he first got drunk…
12. Are you a Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, or Ravenclaw?
If the person doesn’t understand the question, just go. Everybody should know and love Harry Potter!
🤓 Suggested read: 20 Questions: Conversation Starter Game | Gameplay
13. In a perfect world, what would be different?
This question is made for dreamers.
14. If you had to sing karaoke right now, which song would you pick and why?
This response may shock you because there are far too many people with a bad taste in music.
15. What helps you to survive a hangover day?
If you both of you aren’t familiar with any hangover cures, don’t worry, we got you. You just need to sleep, eat a good breakfast, and drink plenty of water. And we’re sorry to let you know but drinking again the next day won’t help at all.
16. Have you ever had a bad haircut? What happened?
Uh, that might lead to a funny but cruel story. If you plan to date that person, try not to laugh too hard.
17. What’s your funniest drunk story so far?
Yes, we know that alcohol is a drug and an addictive substance. But if you handle alcohol conscientiously, it can lead to the best stories!
18. Who is your least favorite famous person and why?
We don’t want to be mean, but there are numerous famous persons out there who aren’t that likable. We’d rather not give names now, but maybe he/she will think of an unjust politician or an annoying musician.
19. During your childhood did you prefer playing outside or video games?
This speed dating question says a lot about the other person.
20. If you could marry a fictional character, who would you pick?
Yes, he/she has to choose one person. Tip: By his/her answer to that question, you can see if you are his/her type!
20 Speed Dating Questions Icebreakers
The best way to start a real conversation with someone to use good icebreakers. Good for you, the next 20 speed dating questions are icebreakers. They will help you to get to know the other person for real and to start a good conversation without awkward silence. Check them out!
1. How would you define the perfect world?
This is an ideal icebreaker question for dreamers.
2. What’s your favorite drink?
This easy question is the perfect icebreaker for speed dating.
3. What was your dream job as a kid?
Who doesn’t like to remember their childhood dreams? Ask this conversation starter questions on a speed dating event to dive into a deep talk about childhood dreams.
4. When is your birthday?
This might be a simple question but a great conversation starter as well. Based on this question, you can discuss past birthdays, wishes, and zodiac signs too.
5. What do you think about equality?
That is such an important question. With this question you can dive into a deep discussion about politics, injustice, and possible solutions.
6. Where would you like to live?
The earth is full of beautiful places and cities.
7. What did you like and don’t like about school?
We have a lot of memories of our school days. It doesn’t matter if you loved or hated school in general, there are sure to be some good and bad memories of your school days. Share them with a chosen person!
📖 Suggested read: New Relationship? Best Tips and Advice for New Couples ✅
8. How was your day?
This question is an ideal conversation starter. It’s a simple question that is guaranteed to keep the conversation going.
9. Who is the best person you know and why?
We all know some heroes. Maybe it’s his/her mother, grandfather, or elder sibling.
10. How was your last Christmas?
Holidays should be spent with family. As Christmas is one of the most famous holidays, it’s a great topic for conversations. Share your memories and future plans for Christmas!
11. If you had to change one thing about yourself, what would you pick and why?
Remind him/her to be honest.
12. Do you believe in zodiac signs?
Did you know that Aries, Taurus, Cancers, Virgos, Scorpios, and Capricorns are terrible at small talk? Well, if you believe in that stuff. Ask this question and discuss the meaning of zodiac signs!
13. What’s your favorite book?
Talking about favorite books is always a great way to get to know someone. Are you into thrillers, romantic novels, or biographies? Share your thoughts!
14. How much time do you spend in front of a mirror every day?
Let’s put it another way: Are you talking to a narcissist?
15. If we would go on a date in a restaurant, what would you order?
That is another great question to talk about eating habits. This could also be a great conversation starter to talk about good restaurants, allergies, diets, and other aspects of food.
📖 Suggested read: 😂 75 Funny Puns to Brighten Your Day
16. What do you think about politicians?
Who knows, maybe there are actually people who like politicians?
17. What do you think about supernatural experiences?
Let’s talk about scary things! With this speed questions, you and your chosen guy/girl get the chance to talk about your own supernatural experiences.
18. How was your first driving lesson?
I bet it was awful.
19. Did you have any pets while growing up?
We all know that dogs are man’s best friend. But there are way more cute pets out there which are great conversation starters. Maybe he/she had a cat, hamster, bird, or even a snake while growing up?
20. What are your hobbies?
It says a lot about a person how he/she spends her free time. And, of course, everybody likes to talk about themselves.
If you’re looking for more icebreaker questions as conversation starters, check out Icebreaker Questions!
What to talk about on a first date
If the speed dating experience was successful for you, you will soon be having your first date with your chosen person. We don’t want to lie to you, so, yes, the first dates are nerve-wracking. And while you have nearly a mental break-down, you should try to make a connection with your significant other. The most important thing on a first date is to have good conversations. You should ask the right questions, listen to his/her stories, and tell a few things yourself as well.
To help you achieve a successful date, we’ve written a whole article for you. Check it out: What to talk about on a first date
If you’re just starting to date someone new, these books can help you navigate the early stages of a relationship. From figuring out if you’re compatible to communicating effectively, they’ll give you the guidance you need to make things work:
- Just Send the Text: An Expert’s Guide to Letting Go of the Stress and Anxiety of Modern Dating
- Seven Secrets of Modern Dating: The He Said, She Said Guide for Getting from Single to Spouse
- First Date Mastery: The Complete First Date Psychology Guide For Men
- Dating Sucks, but You Don’t: The Modern Guy’s Guide to Total Confidence, Romantic Connection, and Finding the Perfect Partner