Questions to ask a girl
Tired of the same old small talk questions? Here are over 200 interesting and engaging questions you can ask a woman to get to know her better.✍️ October 29, 2022
Talking to a woman can be daunting, especially if you’re not sure how to start a conversation or keep it going. If you’re tongue-tied and don’t know what to say, here are some interesting and engaging questions you can ask a girl to get to know her.
There are many more great conversation starters out there. Check out our complete list of conversation starters, questions, advice, and more!
Tips on how to talk to a girl
Before we get to the list of questions, we want to give you some tips on how to talk to a girl. Don’t worry; we’re not going to tell you to “just be yourself.” Everyone says that, but it’s not really helpful advice.
1. Talk about something you have in common
Find out what you have in common with the girl you’re talking to. This can be anything from a shared interest to a similar sense of humor. Once you’ve found something you both have in common, talk about it! This is an easy way to keep the conversation going and make the girl feel comfortable.
2. Ask questions
Ask the girl you’re talking to questions about herself. This shows that you’re interested in her and want to get to know her better. Avoid yes or no questions, and try to ask open-ended questions that require more than a one-word answer.
Listening is just as important as talking. Really pay attention to what the girl you’re talking to is saying. This will show that you’re interested in her and want to know more about her. It will also help you find things you have in common and give you something to talk about.
4. Don’t interrupt
It’s very rude to interrupt someone when they’re talking. Let her finish what she’s saying before you say anything. This shows that you respect her and are interested in hearing what she has to say.
5. Observe your environment
Be aware of your surroundings and use them to your advantage. If you’re at a party, talk about the music or the decoration. If you’re at a museum, talk about the art. This will show that you’re observant and can carry on a conversation about more than just the weather.
List of questions to ask a girl
Now that you know how to talk to a girl, it’s time to get to the good stuff: the list of questions! Remember, these questions are just meant to get the conversation going. They’re not meant to be asked all at once (that would be really awkward). Pick a few that you think will work best for the girl you’re talking to, and mix them in with your own questions.
1. What do you wish people would stop asking you?
At every stage of life, you hear questions over and over again. Whether it’s a question about your future, questions about life circumstances, or questions about personal things. Everyone gets asked the same questions over and over again.
📖 Suggested read: ✅ Tips for Teens: How to Start a Conversation
2. What’s the most immature thing your parents do?
It doesn’t really matter how old someone is. Everyone does childish things. Sometimes those things are silly and fun, and sometimes they are more selfish or hurtful.
Either way, this is a question that she’s probably never been asked before and can lead to some fascinating answers!
3. What is your favorite TV show?
Sure this one is a ubiquitous question, but it’s great because if you are into the show too, you have a ton to talk about. And if you haven’t seen it, now you have an excellent show to watch. Plus, if you don’t know anything about it, she’ll probably enjoy telling you about it.
4. Where is the last place you would ever go?
No telling what she’ll come up with for this question. You can get pretty creative with it, or you can answer it literally. Either way, it’ll probably require a bit of thought, but it could lead to a really great answer.
5. What are you completely over and done with?
So with this question, there really isn’t any way to predict what she’ll say because there are so many different ways this question can go. She might talk about a current fad or fashion, she might speak of a friend, really it could be anything.
🤓 Suggested read: Fun Questions to Ask - Funny conversation starters
But whatever she chooses to talk about, we all love talking about things that annoy us, and she will love it too!
6. What memory do you just keep going back to?
Perfect for getting to know a little bit more about her. Whether it’s a serious memory or just one of those passing things that stick with us sometimes, either way, it’s a great window into her world.
Just a heads up, though, this one can get really serious in a hurry depending on what memory she decides to share.
7. What is the most irrational fear you have?
This question can get really funny or weird. Either way, it’s a fun question that people generally like answering. Who knows, you may share an unusual fear!
8. What’s the most ludicrous argument you’ve had?
I can almost guarantee this one will lead to a funny story. One that she will enjoy telling and you’ll enjoy listening to. I’m sure you both have plenty of ridiculous argument stories, especially if you have siblings.
9. What’s the most important lesson life has taught you?
More of a serious question, but it can be a perfect beginning to a conversation. Plus, you’ll learn more about what makes her who she is and why she is the way she is now.
10. What is increasingly becoming socially tolerable?
You might learn some about what movements she supports or doesn’t support. But really, this question is more about starting an interesting conversation about society.
Just remember, it’s okay that people have different viewpoints than you. This isn’t a debate. You aren’t trying to convince her you are right.
11. What pictures or paintings have had a big impact on you?
This is also one she probably hasn’t been asked before, and she might have never thought about it. But I can almost guarantee that examples will leap to her mind when you ask her the question. This question is pretty cool because you can pull up the pictures/painting on your phone. You’ll probably get to see some cool pictures you’ve never seen.
12. What movie or book character are you most similar to?
If nothing else, this question will tell you how she views herself or who she wants to be more like. There is a reason those quizzes are so popular on Buzzfeed.
You could split the question into two parts, which character do you wish you could be more like, and which do you think you are actually like. Or move the conversation into what books and movies she is into. You could also talk about which characters are the most interesting or unique.
👉 Suggested read: 100 Questions to Ask: Find a Conversation Topic
13. What part of your culture are you most and least proud of?
Our culture makes up a large part of who we are, and she is no different. This one can get a bit deep, but it’s definitely fertile ground for a good conversation. So dive in on cultural matters and see where you both have similar viewpoints and where you differ. There will be lots of chances for follow-up questions. Remember to listen and ask questions. Don’t just think of the next thing you are going to say.
14. What’s the worst and best thing about being female?
A great question that she is sure to have plenty to say about. If you are severely grossed out by feminine body stuff, you might be tempted to give it a pass. But who knows, you might actually learn some things you didn’t know.
Lots of chances for follow-up questions to learn more, but yeah, if it’s about bodily stuff, you might not want to pry too much. But the good stuff about being a woman is great to ask questions about. You can also talk about what’s good about being a guy.
15. What random stranger has had the biggest impact on your life?
This is one that she’ll probably have to take some time to think about because it’s not a common question. But it can be a lot of fun to answer and can be quite thought-provoking as well. Plus, she’ll get to tell a story about her past and how it affects who she is today, which is always good to know.
📖 Suggested read: List of the Best Ice Breaker Questions that will Spark Conversations
To keep the conversation going, remember to ask for more details about her story. Ask about other random strangers that had an impact on her life, or tell her about a random stranger that had a big impact on your life.
16. What achievement are you proud of but most people would consider silly or weird?
This question is a great way to find out more about who she really is and what she finds interesting/fun. Don’t forget to ask a lot about the details.
17. What period in history had the best fashion?
Not all girls are into fashion, but a fair number of them are. Even if she isn’t way into fashion, she still might like this question. It’s probably something she has an opinion on, but I can almost guarantee no one has ever asked her. To expand the conversation, you might want to ask if different periods were better for different genders.
18. What silly or funny thing makes you afraid or creeps you out?
This is a fun question that doesn’t quite delve into deep fears but can still get a strong reaction. You can talk about why the thing creeps her out and if she has any funny stories about the thing she is afraid of. You could also move the topic to more serious fears if you wanted to get a bit deeper. But feel free to keep it light and talk about humorous fears.
19. How quickly do you jump to conclusions about people?
This one is a great question to find out more about how she views other people and what stereotypes she has. To further the conversation, you can ask her about what she thought of you the first time she saw or met you. Or you can ask her about what the telltale signs of a good and bad person are.
20. How would the world change if superheroes and supervillains actually existed?
This is a question to get the creative juices flowing. I’m sure you both can come up with some funny and interesting situations that would arise if superheroes/villains existed. Sure, the girl you are talking to might not be too into this question if they don’t like comics or watching superhero movies. But with how popular superhero movies are, it’s probably a safe bet she’ll enjoy this question. If she doesn’t like those types of movies, though, you might want to give this one a pass.
21. What would be your strategy for surviving an apocalyptic epidemic?
Another one that is a bit off the wall, but I’m sure we’ve all thought about it. Especially with how popular post-apocalyptic shows, movies, and books are. This one is an easy one to expand into a long conversation because you can discuss the merits of each strategy compared with each scenario. I mean, there have literally been books written about this. So yeah, lots to talk about. Especially if you two are into the post-apocalyptic genre.
22. What is the most important change that should be made to your country’s education system?
This one is a bit more serious. But you can see how much she is into social change and probably get a good idea of her political leanings. Or you might find that she doesn’t really care about it. Either way, it’s good intel. You can easily expand this question by bouncing different ideas off of each other and talking about the merits of each idea.
🤓 Suggested read: 250+ Questions to Ask a Guy: The Only List You'll Need
23. What is something you think you will regret in the future, not starting now, and what is something you already regret not starting sooner?
Procrastination. We all do it. This will let you know how much she procrastinates as well as letting you know about what some of her goals are and what she finds important. Try not to nag her about her answers. Because one, she probably already feels bad about it, and two, you probably have stuff that you should’ve already started. If your goals line up, it’s a great way to get a conversation going about what you both would like to accomplish in the future. Also, it’s a great opportunity to complain about how busy the present is.
24. If you could put your brain in a robot and live indefinitely, would you?
A couple of large philosophical questions wrapped up in a fun hypothetical question. You could talk about what makes a human a human. Or you could chat about the merits and drawbacks of living indefinitely. Or you could just talk about how cool it would be to have a robot body decked out with lasers!
25. If you could replace the handshake as a greeting, what interesting new greeting would you replace it with?
This is a rather silly question, but it can be a lot of fun. Plus, it’s doubly hilarious when you both try out different greetings. Try out secret handshakes or high fives with elbows; you are only limited by your creativity.
26. Who’s the worst guest you’ve had in your house, and what did they do?
This is usually good for a funny story. And she’ll enjoy it because it gives her the chance to break out one of her good stories. Encourage lots of details and ask lots of questions.
👉 Suggested read: ❤️ 6 Great Conversation Starters for Dating
27. When does time pass fastest for you, and when does it pass the slowest?
What does she enjoy, and what bores her? If you don’t know, well, now you’ll know! For follow-up questions, you can ask about more examples, or you can prompt her with activities to see which ones she finds tedious and which ones make time fly by.
28. What always sounds like a good idea at the time but rarely is?
This is just a fun mental exercise in coming up with humorous/true examples. And I can almost guarantee there are some good stories about bad decisions to be had from both of you. See what you can come up with and see who has the craziest stories.
29. Are humans fundamentally different than animals? If so, what makes us different?
Whoa, what is this serious question doing here? Yep, be prepared for a conversation filled with landmines like religion and other strongly held beliefs. This question is not one to be busted out lightly, so pick the right time or just skip it. Nothing wrong with keeping a conversation light, but I’ve always enjoyed a good deep conversation as well. So dive in or give it a pass. It’s up to you.
30. You can broadcast one sentence to every TV channel and radio in the world and have it translated into each country’s language. What sentence do you say?
A question that just begs for creativity. You can think of a lot of sentences that would have a lot of effects. You can take it in a more humorous direction, get serious with it, or a bit of both. However, she wants to answer the question, so remember to always ask why and find out more. Think of some more examples and try to think of what sentence would have the most impact or have the funniest outcome.
31. What fact are you really surprised that more people don’t know about?
Who doesn’t love learning new facts? Try to think of facts that the other person doesn’t know. You’ll learn something new and have some fun tidbits to talk about. Just remember to talk about each fact and not just fire off facts rapid fire.
32. What are you most passionate about, and what do you wish you were more passionate about?
I love this question because it gets to the heart of who a person is or at least how they see themselves. You can see what actually interests her versus what person she wishes she could be. This one might even give you a glimpse into the direction she wants to take her life in.
33. What’s the best comeback you’ve ever heard?
It’s a witty and often hilarious question. Chances are she has a pretty good story about an amazing comeback. Plus, you can tell any comeback stories you know. I mean, who doesn’t like hearing about a great comeback?
34. Who haven’t you seen or talked to in a long time and hope they are doing okay?
Another question that delves a little into the past. Perfect for getting to know her a little better. Get ready for a little reminiscing. Sure it’s probably no one you know, but it’s someone who is or was important to her.
35. What’s something that you’ve never been able to do well?
Sharing faults and shortcomings can be a great way for two people to become closer. Just make sure to be supportive and don’t make fun of what she can’t do, that kind of ruins the point of the whole question.
👉 Suggested read: List of Interesting Questions to Ask
36. Who is the most humble person you know?
Kind of a random question, but it might give you some insight into the people she chooses to surround herself with or the people she looks up to.
37. What is the silliest reason someone you’ve known has completely lost it?
That is another one of those questions for pulling out a good story. I’m sure you’ve got a funny story about someone losing it to share as well. Great for a laugh and for getting a conversation going.
38. What is quite possibly the most annoying thing ever?
We all get annoyed at things. Now, you can see what she finds annoying. Probably a good idea to try and avoid doing the things she finds annoying. And there’s a good chance that you’ll both share something that you find annoying, and it’s always good finding things in common.
39. What’s the weirdest tradition your family has?
I’ve come to the belief that no family is totally normal. There are weird traditions and customs in every family. Often people don’t even know that other families do or don’t do a certain ritual or tradition.
That’s why this is a perfect question for finding out more about her family and how she grew up as well as sharing some about your family.
40. If you could choose anyone living or dead, who would you choose to lead our country?
Possibly political, but this one will probably end up getting more of a creative answer. It can tell you a lot about what direction she’d like the country to head in, or it might let you know that she isn’t into politics.
🤓 Suggested read: Funny Icebreaker Questions
41. What app on your phone do you wish you used more?
A little different spin on the normal “what’s your favorite / most used app” question. We’ve all got apps on our phones (usually self-improvement/education apps) that we mean to start using but never get around to.
Also, this question is a great gateway question for a discussion about apps.
42. Who was the most power-mad person you’ve met?
Kind of an odd question. I debated whether to include it on this list. But it might lead to an interesting story, so I decided to leave it in.
Feel free to skip this one if you aren’t into it or don’t think she’ll find it interesting.
43. What world-famous monument do you have no interest in visiting?
This a pretty random question, but great for seeing what she isn’t into. It can definitely lead to some interesting answers, and you’ll learn a lot more about how much she likes/dislikes travel.
44. What is something that you think people are only pretending to like or are deluding themselves into liking?
This is a perfect question to find out what trends or fads she just doesn’t get. Definitely not a normally asked question, but it can get some really interesting answers.
45. What joke went way too far?
This one can get dark quick, depending on what story she decides to tell—just a heads up. Still a great question, though, and it can lead to an interesting story.
46. What are some of the telltale signs that a guy is creepy?
So we all know people that seem a bit creepy. So, what mannerisms make them seem creepy? Are they really creepy or just a little socially awkward? This can really lead to a great conversation about how humans view each other.
47. What is your very first memory?
This a little question that probably won’t tell you much about her, but it’s still a fun question to answer. We all like talking about ourselves, after all.
48. What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve said or done around someone you had a crush on?
Get ready for some cringing. She might not want to let you know, but if she does, it can be a really good question for bringing out a good story. You might want to skip this one if you just met her, but it’s great if you’ve known her for a while.
49. Who is your favorite actor or actress?
Another question that is a little generic but perfect for learning what types of movies she is into. Also, a great intro into a conversation if you also like one of the actors or actresses she mentions.
Plus, it’s easy to spin this question off into a discussion about movies. Because who doesn’t like movies?
50. What doesn’t exist but you desperately want/need it?
Perfect for some creative answers and blue-sky brainstorming. It’s always fun imagining what form solutions to problems will take. Plus, you’ll both get to commiserate about problems currently without a solution.
149 Extra questions to ask a girl
Here are a few more questions to keep up your sleeve for that first date or second, third, fourth… You get the idea. These ones can help you fill any awkward silences, and they might even help you get a better sense of who she is and whether or not you’d like to see her again.
🤓 Suggested read: 70 Great Relationship Questions To Ask Your Partner
- Which car is so ugly you’re shocked it got made?
- If you were forced to create a new dance move, what would it be, and what would you call it?
- What piece of clothing have you seen that you desperately wanted?
- If everything in your house had to be one color, what color would you choose?
- What’s something you completely changed your mind about and went from believing one thing to believing the exact opposite?
- What’s the dumbest thing you’ve done in the last 24 hours?
- What kinds of things are normal now but will be highly valued antiques a century later?
- When was the last time you laughed so hard that you cried?
- If you could custom design an organ for yourself, what would it do, and where would it go?
- What’s the weirdest thing you have seen on someone’s phone?
- What’s the worst example of curiosity killing the cat you’ve seen?
- If you were given $100,000, but it could only be used to upgrade your shower or bathtub, what upgrades would you make?
- How decisive or indecisive are you?
- What areas in your life do you have high hopes for, and what are those high hopes?
- What’s the worst book you’ve been forced to read in school?
- What animal are you surprised isn’t extinct yet?
- What’s weird about you?
- What’s your story?
- What’s an innocent mistake you made that had dramatic consequences?
- If you went into a coma and woke up in the year 2120, what would be the first thing you would want to know?
- What’s the most polarizing question you could ask a group of your friends?
- What country can you name, but besides the name, you know almost nothing else about it?
- What shouldn’t have happened but happened anyway?
- What weird smell do you really enjoy?
- What personality traits are people proud of but shouldn’t be?
- What’s something weird that you recommend everyone to try at least once?
- What’s something horrible that we as humans have accepted because that’s just how things are, but actually, things don’t have to be that way at all?
- If you found out you would inexplicably fall down dead in one year, what would you change about your life?
- What would your warning label say if every person was required to have one?
- If you were given $5,000 to give the most amount of happiness to the most amount of people, what would you do?
- Looking back on your life, what have you done that has given you the most satisfaction?
- What’s the most pleasing accent to hear your language spoken with?
- What kind of personality traits do you associate with certain names?
- What was a huge deal when it happened, but now everyone seems to have forgotten about it?
- What do you love about yourself?
- Most people want to be wealthy for one reason or another. Why do you want to be wealthy? What would be the biggest benefit of being wealthy?
- What would you do if one day you woke up and every person was just gone without a trace?
- What sentence can you say that makes total sense now but would seem insane 20 years ago?
- What would you do if someone left a duffle bag filled with $2,000,000 on your back porch?
- What kind of old person would you like to become?
- What job won’t be replaced by machines or computers any time soon?
- What makes you feel old?
- What type of design style do you like most? From architecture, interior design, art, cars, phones, or whatever.
- What’s in your pockets right now?
- If you could only wear one outfit for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What snack can you just not get enough of?
- What’s the best decision you’ve ever made?
- When were some occasions you did a double-take?
- If many people consider red to represent anger/passion, blue sadness, and green envy, what feelings would some of the other colors, like purple, turquoise, silver, or brown represent?
- Where do you like going for walks?
- What always lets you down, and what never lets you down?
- What’s your favorite non-drug / non-alcohol high?
- How different is the social environment for kids in school now versus 10 or 20 years ago?
- Who is the luckiest person you know?
- What would be the cutest infestation to have in your home?
- What’s this time period the golden age of?
- If you had to choose your spouse based on just one question, what question would you ask?
- What weird childhood fear do you still kind of hold on to?
- What do you wish you could re-live?
- What’s the most rage-inducing thing you’ve had to make or put together?
- When you were a kid, what movie did you watch over and over again?
- What complex fictional character really intrigues you?
- What’s the funniest thing you’ve seen a relative do?
- What would you do if you knew for a fact that world war three was going to start in three months?
- If you were an action figure, what accessories would you be sold with?
- What’s the biggest waste of money you’ve seen?
- What’s something that only someone from where you grew up would understand?
- Do you prefer being warmed when you’re too cold or being cooled when you’re too hot?
- What would be the worst thing to put into a piñata?
- If everything was quantified, what life stats would you like to see for yourself?
- What’s the best ice cream topping?
- What options would come up if you could “right-click” people?
- What gets progressively weirder the more you think about it?
- What’s the worst thing you’ve heard one person say to another person?
- Assuming you name inanimate objects, what are some names for inanimate objects you own or have owned? (i.e., cars, computers, shoes, etc.)
- If you inherited a private jet from a stranger, what would you do with it?
- Who is or was your greatest rival?
- What would make the world more interesting if it was a different color?
- What was something you regularly ate as a child but now cringe at the thought of eating?
- Who was the most spoiled person you personally have met?
- What do you think about in the shower?
- What piece of culture or trend has died out, but you would like to see it make a comeback?
- If you could dedicate your life to solving one problem, what problem would you choose?
- What’s your favorite souvenir that you have?
- Who, out of everyone still alive, would you most want to share a meal with?
- What have you gotten too old to put up with?
- If you could look through one person’s email without them knowing, whose email would you spy on?
- What do couples do that seriously annoy you?
- What have you recently become obsessed with?
- Besides a raise or more vacation time, what’s the best perk a company can offer employees?
- What’s something that actually happened but seemed absurd and unrealistic?
- Have you ever worked retail?
- What’s your favorite way to meet new people?
- What event would you like to know the whole and complete truth about?
- What’s the best practical joke you’ve pulled or seen pulled?
- What’s the best piece of advice someone has given you?
- What do you think people automatically assume about you when they look at you?
- What’s going to be the next retro thing that comes back into popularity?
- What’s the most unpleasant-sounding word?
- What makes someone a “good” person?
- What would the trailer to a movie about your life be like?
- What movie was great when it came out but hasn’t aged well?
- What’s the biggest thing your textbooks got wrong or omitted?
- What are some outdated customs that don’t make sense anymore, but people still follow them simply out of tradition?
- What do you wish you had more time for?
- What’s a ridiculous thing you have convinced someone is true?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing that has fallen out of your bag?
- What are you most grateful for?
- What was the last disaster you prevented?
- Who do you make happy?
- What would you do if you fell deeply in love with someone online, but you discovered they are actually a government-created AI that escaped and now lives online?
- When was the last time you had a gut feeling about something that turned out to be correct? How about a time your gut feeling was wrong?
- If you could know one truth about yourself, history, the world, or even the universe, what truth would you want to know?
- What are you hyped about?
- What do you like to do that is traditionally considered masculine?
- What do you really wish you knew when you were younger?
- What was the most disappointing ending to a great book/movie/game?
- What do you really want to know?
- What website or app has completely changed your life for better or for worse?
- What can you talk about all day?
- What’s something you learned recently that you really should have already known?
- What skill do you wish more people took the time to learn?
- If money wasn’t an issue, what company do you think would be fun to work at?
- What’s your reason for getting out of bed in the morning?
- What’s something from your childhood that used to be common but is now pretty rare?
- What jobs exist because people are selfish?
- What’s happening in popular culture now that is taken very seriously, but in 20 years, people will find it extremely silly?
- What’s the worst trait a person can have?
- What’s the best gag gift you’ve ever seen or gotten?
- What’s the biggest lie that someone told you?
- What’s surprising about you?
- What’s your “and then it got worse” story?
- What’s the closest thing to magic that actually exists?
- When was the last / best time that someone said something they thought you couldn’t hear or understand but you could?
- What was your most memorable dream or nightmare?
- What’s the best thing you could tell someone to cheer them up when they are feeling down?
- When you were a kid, what silly thing were you deathly afraid of?
- What movie have you seen more than seven times?
- What would be the scariest text message to wake up to?
- If you could hear every time someone said something good about you or something negative about you, which would you choose?
- What’s something that no one wants to hear but everyone should?
- What question have you always wanted to ask but were too afraid of looking stupid?
- What songs can you sing that I’ll know after hearing two words from the song?
- How do you feel about books?
- What’s romanticized in modern culture but really shouldn’t be?
- What cheesy song do you love?
- What movie did you start watching expecting it to be horrible, but it was actually pretty good?
- What was the worst phase you went through?
- What’s your best ethically gray life hack?
You should now have plenty of ideas for your next date, and more importantly, you now know how to keep the conversation flowing. Remember, the goal is to get to know her better, not just ask her questions. So make sure you keep the conversation going by asking follow-up questions and, most importantly, by listening to what she has to say.
🤓 Suggested read: 70 Conversation Starters for Couples