Conversation Starters for Couples
Communication is key to a healthy relationship. Therefore we have made a list of the best conversation starters for couples. Regardless of whether you are newly in love or have been in a relationship for years, these questions will bring you closer to your partner again.✍️ May 20, 2022
- 🤓 What Are Conversation Starters?
- 💞 The 25 Best Conversation Starters For Couples
- 💍 The 10 Best Conversation Starters For Married Couples
- 💗 25 Intimate Conversation Starters For Couples
- 💓 Bonus: The 10 Best Relationship Questions For Couples
What Are Conversation Starters? 🤓
As the name suggests, conversation starters are there to start interesting conversations and keep them going. More precisely, good conversation starters are, most of the time, thought-provoking that can lead to exciting discussions.
Such questions are particularly helpful for more reserved or shy people who find it difficult to talk to people. However, conversation starters are suitable for anyone who wants to have interesting conversations with strangers or friends.
Purpose Of Conversation Starters For Couples
If your quality time consists of nothing more than watching Netflix together, it’s time for a change. After a stressful day at work, relaxing with your partner on the couch, and watching your favorite series on Netflix is not bad. However, if it becomes your everyday activity, the relationship may suffer.
Talking in a relationship goes without saying, right? In fact, Being in a long-term relationship often means that you have less and less to say to each other.
Conversation starters are an ideal way to avoid this or bring a breeze of fresh air into the relationship.
The 25 Best Conversation Starters For Couples 💞
Here are the best conversation starter questions for couples, that will lead to exciting talks.
1. What is one behavior someone can do that will immediately make them unattractive?
Not only the looks can make someone unattractive. Sometimes certain personality traits can make the most beautiful person seem ugly.
2. What experience/s have you missed out in life due to your fear of failure?
Is it too late to catch up on this experience? Maybe your partner can help you overcome your fear.
3. What are some things that are accepted now but might be considered unethical in the future?
This question will lead to a philosophical discussion, for sure.
📖 Suggested read: 40+ Questions To Get To Know Your Partner On A Deeper Level
4. If you could know the answer to one question about your future, what would it be?
Do you want to know what the future holds for you?
5. What are your top 5 values in life, and why?
That’s a great question to find out more about your partner’s core values.
6. What is the best and worst thing about our relationship?
We recommend starting with the best things about your relationship. This question can help you to improve and work on your relationship.
7. What is something that you really miss from your childhood?
Is it the light-heartedness of a child’s life or playing with your friends? I’m sure you can find at least three things that you miss from your childhood.
8. What biases do you think you have?
Everybody has biases, even if we sometimes don’t even know it. There are biases regarding almost everything - Looks, clothing, nationality, status, gender, and much more. Being aware of having biases is the first step to overcome or control them.
👉 Suggested read: 70 Great Relationship Questions To Ask Your Partner
9. What does “success in life” mean to you?
Money, Love, or Family? Success has many facets.
10. Which event in your life had the biggest impact on your life and your personality?
Was it just one event, or were it more events that changed you?
11. What did you learn from your previous relationships?
After each (failed) relationship, you learn more about yourself.
12. What made you laugh out loud recently?
Was it a weird interaction with a stranger or something you saw or heard? Share it with your partner and laugh together.
13. Do you think society is getting better, the same, or worse overall?
How optimistic or pessimistic are you about the future of mankind? Explain why you think it’s getting better, the same, or worse.
14. What do you think about arguing in a relationship?
Do you avoid arguing with your partner or address your issues straightforward?
15. Which celebrities would you kiss, marry, and kill?
This question is purely hypothetical. However, you might be offended if your partner wants to kill your favorite celebrity. 😅
16. If you were to fall into a coma from which there was little hope of escape, how long would you like your family to wait before they pulled the plug?
Weeks, months, years? How long would you like your family to keep you alive?
17. What is your favorite way to receive affection from me?
It’s always good to know what your partner likes. Maybe you two want to receive love and affection differently. If you know that, you can make each other even happier.
18. If you could live anywhere in the world for the rest of your life, where would that be?
Is it a place you’ve been to before? What makes this place so special?
19. What is the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to you?
Sharing your most embarrassing moments with your significant other will cause laughter, and bring you closer together.
👉 Suggested read: ❤️ 99+ Couples Trivia Questions
20. What would an average day in your perfect life look like?
Everyone has a different idea of a perfect life. What does yours look like?
21. What personality traits or behavior do you dislike the most?
That’s a risky question. Does your partner have one of these personality traits?
22. What is something that you believed for a long time to later find out it was wrong?
How did you found out that what you were believing was wrong?
23. If you could domesticate any animal in the world to be your pet, what would it be and why?
For me, it would be a runner duck. If you haven’t watched a video of runner ducks before, do it now.
24. What is that one thing that instantly fixes your mood?
Runner ducks. Just kidding. But runner ducks do brighten up my day. What fixes your mood?
25. What have you given up but yet used to love?
Is it something you did as a child? Why are you not doing it anymore?
👉 Suggested read: Rapid Fire | Conversation Starter Game
The 10 Best Conversation Starters For Married Couples 💍
When you are married, the daily grind sometimes creeps in. To counteract this, we have compiled a list of 10 conversation starters for married couples. With these questions, some wine and snacks, you can spend some quality time with your partner.
1. Have you ever felt insecure within our relationship?
What did you feel insecure about? Was it before or after you got married?
2. What is something that you did as a kid and that you still enjoy doing to this day?
I like to watch my favorite TV-Show from childhood from time to time. What are you still enjoying doing to this day? Maybe playing Lego?
3. If I were an animal, what animal would I be?
Would you like to be a pet or a wild animal?
4. What are some things that have been bothering you lately?
Checking in regularly with your partner contributes to a happy and healthy relationship.
5. When you first saw me, what was the first thing you found attractive about me?
Remember why you fell in love with your partner. What did you like about him/her so much? That will keep your passion going.
6. What can I do to improve our relationship?
Take the initiative. This question shows your partner that you are willing to put work into your relationship.
7. What do you love to do when you are alone?
What secret things do you do when nobody is watching? Are you maybe practicing on your dance or singing skills? 💃
8. What is something I do that you find annoying?
Sometimes the most annoying things your partner does are also the cutest. Do you agree?
9. What do you think is the hardest and the most beautiful thing about marriage?
Those who believe that it is enough to love one another to maintain a marriage live in a dream world. Marriage also means working on your relationship on an ongoing basis. In addition to the hurdles, there are many positive things about marriage too.
10. What is one accomplishment you are most proud of?
Asking your partner what he/she is proud shows that you care about your partner’s life. Also, it makes your partner feel good about him/herself.
25 Intimate Conversation Starters For Couples 💗
Here are some intimate questions to ask your girlfriend/boyfriend, which will bring you closer together.
👉 Suggested read: List of the Best Ice Breaker Questions that will Spark Conversations
1. What do you like most about my personality?
To get compliments about one’s looks feels good. However, getting compliments about one’s personality feels even better.
2. Did our relationship change you?
I think every relationship changes us a bit. How did your relationship change you?
3. Do you believe in unconditional love? Why or why not?
Unconditional love - is it a romantic myth or fact? What do you think?
4. Do you have any sexual fantasies you would like to try out with me?
Let’s talk about sex - You shouldn’t be afraid to speak with your partner about your sexual preferences. When you speak openly about your sexuality, your sex life will get even better.
5. What’s your favorite part of my body?
What makes this body part so unique?
6. What do you think is the sexiest characteristic or trait of a person?
Not only looks can make you sexy, but also your personality. What are some personality traits that you can’t resist?
7. If you could have three wishes from me, what would they be?
You are not allowed to wish for a new wish. 🤓
👉 Suggested read: 100+ Fun Relationship Questions for Couples
8. What is your favorite memory of us?
To revel in fond memories with your partner can be something very beautiful.
9. What was the weirdest (good or bad) sex experience you have ever had?
Have you ever tried out some weird sex fetish and haven’t told your partner yet? Tell your partner, maybe he/she likes it.
10. If your partner cheated on you, would you give him/her a second chance?
That’s a hard question. Does the circumstances matter, or is this behavior merely unforgivable?
11. Would you put your career ahead of your love life?
Career or love? What comes first in your life? Do you and your partner think the same about this topic?
12. Do you regret any decisions you made?
Every decision you have ever made so far has led you to this moment. So one could argue that people shouldn’t regret anything. I think we all made choices in our lives that we are not proud of. The best we can do is to learn from our mistakes and forgive ourselves.
13. If you had to describe me in three words, which words would you choose?
Pick those three words wisely.
14. What do you think about Valentine’s Day? Is it overrated?
Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day as a couple, or do you think it’s cheesy? And why do you like or don’t like it?
15. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Your partner probably wouldn’t want to change a thing about you. However, would you?
16. What are your goals for this relationship?
It is advisable to talk about your ideas for the relationship as a couple. If the goals of the two partners differ too much, they should talk about it (for example, one wants to get married, and the other does not).
17. What are the biggest differences between us?
Opposites attract, doesn’t it? In my experience, a good mediocrity is the best recipe for a working relationship - not too similar, but not too different either.
18. What are three things you can never live without?
We all know you love your partner and wouldn’t want to live without him/her. However, think about different things you do not wish to live without.
🤓 Suggested read: First Date Conversations ❤️
19. Are you satisfied with our intimacy?
Start being honest about how satisfied you are in your relationship. This will instantly improve your relationship.
20. What are some things I do that turns you on?
Hopefully, something that you do turns her/him on —just kidding 😄. I’m sure your partner can think of something.
21. If you could gain one quality or ability this instant, what would it be?
Is it a physical or cognitive ability? And what would you do with your new skill?
22. When you pass away, how do you want to be remembered by people?
A little bit morbid, but still a good question.
23. What was your favorite place to go as a child, and why did you like it so much?
What made this place so special?
24. Have I ever said or done something that made you feel uncomfortable?
That’s a very thoughtful question. Sometimes we hurt our loved ones without knowing it.
25. Is there something you miss that we used to do?
What was it, and why did you stop doing it?
👉 Do you want more great conversation starters? Here’s a list of awesome questions: 250+ Conversation Starters
Bonus: The 10 Best Relationship Questions For Couples 💓
As a small bonus, we have created a list of our favorite questions to ask your boyfriend/girlfriend.
1. How much alone time do you need in a relationship?
Everyone needs time for themselves, some more and some less. Therefore it is important to discuss with your partner how much time you want to spend alone.
2. What do you think is our greatest strength and greatest weakness as a couple?
Honesty is one of the most essential things in a relationship. It can strengthen the relationship if you reflect on your strengths and weaknesses together.
3. How do your favorite way to express love?
Do you express your love with words or actions? My favorite way would be a combination of both.
4. What do you think our life will look like in ten years?
This question indicates that you are planning to have a future together with your partner.
5. What do you think is key to a happy and healthy relationship?
Is it intimacy, communication, or simply love? Maybe it’s different for everyone.
6. Which of my family members do you like the most and which the least?
Decide for yourself if you want to answer this question. I think there’s nothing wrong telling the truth about how you feel about your partner’s family as long as it is respectfully.
7. Do you feel jealous if your partner hangs out with a friend of the opposite sex?
If yes - Why do you think you are jealous? Did something happen to you in the past that made it difficult for you to trust your partner?
8. Given the realities of your current life, how often would you like to have sex with your partner?
I have sad it a hundred times before - Talking with your partner about sex is crucial.
9. What makes you feel most loved?
Is it a special touch or something your partner says?
10. What’s the best compliment you have ever received?
Was it from your boyfriend/girlfriend or someone else?
👉 You can find more interesting questions for couples here: 200 Questions for Couples
If you’re just starting to date someone new, these books can help you navigate the early stages of a relationship. From figuring out if you’re compatible to communicating effectively, they’ll give you the guidance you need to make things work:
- Just Send the Text: An Expert’s Guide to Letting Go of the Stress and Anxiety of Modern Dating
- Seven Secrets of Modern Dating: The He Said, She Said Guide for Getting from Single to Spouse
- First Date Mastery: The Complete First Date Psychology Guide For Men
- Dating Sucks, but You Don’t: The Modern Guy’s Guide to Total Confidence, Romantic Connection, and Finding the Perfect Partner